View Single Post
Old 08-12-15, 08:02 PM   #1211
goodpoints
Watch

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
It appears that some of the UPC files in \Submarines may be corrupted, plus other files, because of the strange deck gun slots and crew slots that are not correct.

When JSGME uninstalls a mod, sometimes all files are not removed correctly and the game files get corrupted.

To avoid reinstalling the entire game, I keep a clean untouched install - (never played) and Copy this install to make install(s) from the original I can mod and play. I use Multi SH4. This way I only need to delete the corrupt \Data folder and drag a clean Copy over from the untouched clean install if my files get corrupted.

(Plus of course, deleting & replacing the JSGME \MODS folder & contents)

There is a temporary fix if you don't want to lose your Career that may correct your gun slots and crew slots:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121472
Coletrains - Problem manually solved. Deck Gun, post #14 but I recommend looking at the entire topic.
- and neumanf15's post:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121460 post #10

Sadly, I think a reinstall may be needed......... Maybe someone will post an alternative (I hope).

Sorry. Happy Hunting anyway, right?

Hm. I know JSGME has a function to save a snapshot of current game files as a backup (Tasks > Take Snapshot...), wouldn't that likely solve the issue without resorting to a reinstall if that were necessary? Not to say that I was wise enough to remember to use said function, but it might be useful info for you. (and me in the future)

Do you know which of those UPC files exactly can be corrupted? Are they stock files or RFB files, the only ones I see in my /Submarine folder are RFB files. Which, in that case: I would think disabling RFB via JSGME, deleting the RFB folder in /MODS, and reextracting/reenabling RFB would overwrite any lingering corrupt files with clean RFB files. Does RFB save any specific user data that would mess up a current save by removing it?

Fortunately I do have a save before I transferred subs and got the upgrade, so that might give me some options. (or I can always forego the upgrade for this career if the bug, hopefully, only applies to the one upgrade) I'm currently playing some SH5, so next time I start up SH4 I will try some of those fixes (after I back up my game directory) and report back.

Unrelated to above:

Has anyone explored the possibility of automated scripts, as have been created with SH5, for SH4? I appreciate RFB staying as close to possible to historic crew rosters and procedures, but manually moving (and remembering to do so) the 2 planesmen from deck watch to Control every time you dive can be a slight hassle. It would be great it you could just run a script that would automatically do those dive procedures; as well as stuff like rigging for depth charges, sending an engine crew to damage control, manning deck/AA guns with a pre-selected crew, etc.
goodpoints is offline   Reply With Quote