Old 06-15-18, 04:27 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-63 View Post
Hi guys -

it's been a long break (in Tipperary?), but I've come back and reinstalled SH5 with the latest WoS patch. Probably because I've been away, it's all a bit overwhelming. I've done a lot of reading in the forums over the last few days, watched several videos, but I still have some questions that I hope you can provide some guidance on:
I like when people ask concrete questions so I'll spare few minutes...

Quote:
1.) How long does it typically take for you to reach the start screen? It's not uncommon for my system to appear to go idle for 45secs to 1 1/2 minutes at a black screen when starting the game? I've confirmed that the SH5.exe has Admin rights, as does uPlay. Switching to Windows 7 compatibility mode seemed to help some, but I still cannot reliably launch from uPlay - Running sh5.exe directly seems the most reliable.
With TWoS on board "black screen" loading pause which can last for several minutes is quite normal, regardless of your PC configuration. That's because nations rooster and number of ships have been increased for several times.

Quote:
2.) With RealNavigation and the automation scripts, is it necessary to change scripts as the time of day changes? Or do you just activate the script that matches the current time of day?
Activate the script which matches current time of day (GMT), once only, when you load your gamesave or starting new patrol.

Quote:
3.) My frustration level was at EXTREME last night as I was going thru the Baltic Operations - I would get into the patrol area and the two warships patrolling the entry to Danzig harbor would shoot up my sub before I had a chance to react. I presume this was because my time acceleration allowed them to close to engagement distance before I could react. This didn't match how I remembered playing before, so I presume WoS modified the behavior but I don't understand how I need to adapt. Guidance would be appreciated.
Polish destroyers in Danzing are skilled but they are no match for German warships which are also in the area. Luftwaffe may also attack them as well...
Be careful and keep your head down until German units deal with them and then you can hunt freely in the Danzing.

Quote:
4.) Are there any assumptions about how you'll have the game setup in Options that are a requirement for WoS? For example - if I select Medium Difficulty vs Realistic in the game, does that affect things like the above?
Game difficulty settings do not affect AI if that's what you ask, but it will make thing easier (or harder) for you...

Quote:
5.) I saw another oddity during play last night: there was an icon on the map for my sub AND separate marks for the Navigator's position estimates. I presume that this (again) indicates that I've got something dorked up in my settings?
That sounds strange... If you have enabled real navigation , you can not see your submarine on the map.

Quote:
6.) Suggestions for areas to search for shipping? I encountered the two polish patrol ships, one Large German warship exiting Danzig harbor (why it didn't eat the patrol ships, I don't know), and ONE lonely Polish freighter over 3 or 4 days of game time?
Fifi gave a good answer regarding this one...

Quote:
7.) The Navigator's Celestial Fix button doesn't appear to work properly? I can click it but I don't recall getting fixes back from it? Only the Dead Reckoning fix works consistently? I would expect that errors would compound themselves with dead reckoning, so wouldn't the celestial fix be preferable?
It works, but it has time delay of 45 minutes or so (depends of navigator experience). This delay can be adjusted with Options File Editor...

Quote:
Thanks!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote