View Single Post
Old 12-09-16, 02:15 PM   #40
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

They have really improved the updating in the last 10 years of Linux, haven't they? I remember buying a $40 book back when to help walk me through Red Hat whatever it was (2.x??!!!) - Wow! much nicer now. Easier than Apple and Android - combined! I stumbled upon it when I went looking for the hardware stuff, since my NIC wasn't "working", although it was. Didn't dawn on my to check that I'd put the Cat5e cable back in after pulling the side of the box to disconnect a couple drives for my install. I'm a "fail-safe" kind of guy - I usually fail, so I play it safe, and disconnect drives that I don't want to accidentally install to... Well, they have also improved that aspect of the install. No more "Device 0 on Port 0". I had given the "target" a new label in Windows prior to starting the install, and there was the label, plain as day, and a drop-down box menu for if I would have had the other drives connected. No problem.

One thing that is and has been way different with any version of Linux that I've ever used (as compared to Windows' way), and I think this is like my fifth one, is that even 10-12 years ago, you didn't have to tell it that you had connected a Windows drive next time you booted. I sees it, sees the boot record, and will add it (eventually, after it goes through the drive) to the boot menu for the next time you start the computer. Now, all I gotta do is figure out how to edit that "boot config" file... - I used to do everything from the command line, so this "desktop" stuff and Wine that actually works is really nice. It took maybe 30 minutes to get it installed on this beast, and another 30 now to re-connect the Windows drives, update and have the box all back together. In the meantime, I've gotten some cleaning done, and fixed lunch, sat down here to get on the web for a check-in, and all is hunky-dory. In a few minutes here, I'm off to watch me some RR vidz of SH4 installs...

Oh! Another thing Rockiin Robbins in your next video with the Gui choses, "Dual Screens and how to bend them to your will"... It boots up fine with the two screens, but now my left screen is my right screen, and the right is the left, which ain't no big deal, I mean it's easy enough to change 'em around in Windows and I'll just connect the cables the other way, but I can find nothing about doing that in Ubuntu, nor can I find my screen resolution settings. I know it's easy, 'cause I remember doing it before in the other flavors of Linux... but where / how?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote