View Single Post
Old 03-16-17, 07:10 PM   #4264
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
No damage. Also, I never dived below 100' prior this save and was always in deep water as I traveled from NE of Truk, rounded the North to arrive at that location
OK, well, I'm to the East of Truk, and go straight West for Weno. I had made me some new Single Mission files with different boats and different "targets", just to make sure something wasn't stuck in something I was doing. Same difference. So long as I stayed East of the 152°10' Longitude line in the game, no problem. This also does NOT occur in Stock, nor does it occur in FotRSU, if you swap the Stock Jap_Minefields.mis files. So it almost have to be something in that file. I got to looking at the differences between the files, and the stock version does not have a direction set for the first Waypoint, just that it has waypoints set for the subnets. So I went through Truk and the Marshalls areas and re-named all the subnets, moved them to deeper water just off the reefs, and got rid of the direction, setting all back to zero. When I played the mission that always makes the sound, and it still made the sound. So, thinking that maybe the mission was messed up, I used the one that starts East of the 152°10' line, and drove West toward Truk again. Crossed the line and tried to get the sound. No go. Wow. For fifteen minutes I crash dove and blew ballast, did TC up to 128, drove on the surface, drove under water... Then I did another crash dive, and thought to mysef "no, I wanted periscope depth", so I hit the "P" key, the boat went below to about 68 foot, and was starting to come back up, I went to the perscope station, up scope, just get to see Weno in the distance as the boat is leveling off at 60 foot and BAM! The "New" Sound... ratz... So, while it's an apparent improvement, I don't really know - not conclusive by any stretch. I did NOT take hull damage either. I'll keep looking through the Jap_Minefields.mis file for a while longer yet. One thing I have noticed, is that if you drive your boat into or over a subnet, whether purposeful or otherwise, you'll get a certain level of the sound. If you get The "New" Sound, it is louder, by a good bit... maybe like it's bypassing the game's audio engine? Is that possible? Or - are we supposed to be getting some other sound, and the SubNet sound is being called by mistake?... maybe a gander into the SH.sdl is called for... but why only near Truk?... Is it a shore battery shooting at us? "Sonar Contact"?... Because where I've been when I get The "New" Sound, I'm in the way-WAY deep water East of Truk...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote