View Single Post
Old 01-11-17, 02:57 PM   #78
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The power grid in my area is overloaded. When I first moved into the area 20+ years ago, the power was fine. The cost since then has increased almost 10-fold. All sorts of residential construction has been going on in the area for the last 20 years, including new schools, and they've even run a couple of high-tension power lines nearby, but our service drop and feed out front are still the same. To put icing on the cake, there's only one direction for the feed, so if something gets in the line, we're out. That is what happened last night, with just a little bit of rain, and a bit of wind. They have not improved the service any, and they do not properly maintain what they have. We had a stretch last night where we were only getting 102 volts on each "leg" into the house - about 15 volts low each of two sides. Everything still worked, but the motors were making strange buzzing noises...

Anyway, my big computer is down for the count right now, with Windows 7 for some reason "restoring" itself last night from a system image (not from my prompting... ??) that is several months old, and is missing some of my data... I had just recovered from a Windows Update mess a few weeks ago, and now have this... But I have stuff to pull from, if I can't bend Windows back to my will... I know this little dual core I'm on right now won't run RMS, as it won't hardly do FotRSU...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote