View Single Post
Old 01-12-19, 06:13 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
... I'm both intimidated & humbled by the sheer amount of insight & understanding I need to comprehend & fathom in order to work with this game & the possibilities it has to offer.
We've all "been there, done that" in the game. It can be very frustrating with any game to "get up to speed", but it seems the Silent Hunter series is especially frustrating. But once you get things the way you like, you won't have to have that feller up in the row boat hollering "Mark twain! Er, sorry! Two fathoms!"... I know I know, bad joke...

A few little points before you go: When you are activating and de-activating mods with JSGME, it is usually faultless. There is a little a little tool you can use with a fresh SH4 and JSGME install, which you get to from the blue "Tasks..." menu in the middle of its Window. Before you install a mod, use the "Generate snapshot of game files". It is only valid though, on a fresh install, otherwise the "snapshot" may be tainted by bods coming and going. Keep it in mind though. It will take longer to run than a mega-mod activation takes though, and if you use the "Compare game files to snapshot", that runs even longer. Another little nugget there is "Export activated mod list to -->", and I usually use "clipboard". That allows for quick, easy pasting, such as:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\Games\FotRSU63\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.63_PublicBeta_E N
Cumulative Fix 07 for v0.63 with Scout Planes_AI Subs
08pbSubsAndBBandSuch
This is an old list, in an old install of mine, and is not a valid mod list, just an example.

One last thing... when you change a mod list, it affects your Game Saves, rendering them useless, until you happen to restore an exact configuration. It's best when changing mods, to empty your Save folder, which by default is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4". Depending upon your Windows version, that might be "My Documents", and in XP, it would be under "C:\Documents and Settings \UserName \My Documents\SH4". Trying to use a Saved Game from one configuration in another usually results in a "confused" game, and maybe a CTD (Crash To Desktop). With the use of MultiSH4, you can have multiple installs of the game, with different mods in each, and never have to worry about that (famous last words...) - and not to confuse the issue...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote