View Single Post
Old 12-24-17, 10:24 AM   #5628
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
Ummm.... I only add some graphic mods such as submarine skin and torpedo wakes. It was a save game, but the career was started with FOTRSU installed... Now the rescue mission just so annoying because the day and night are full with enemy planes. I can't surface at all because they always towering over your head, wave by wave. Yes, ALWAYS. Now I'm almost been drove to mad by "radar contact!" voices.
Sub skin mods shouldn't affect things, but make sure that the mod ~IS~ indeed, only skins that put dds files in the Data \ Submarine folder and the Data \ Objects folder, and maybe the Data \ Textures \ TNormal \ tex folder (sometimes the TLowRes also). Anything that tweaks the game elsewhere may well influence things. The torpedo wake thing might also cause issues, since it almost assuredly overwrites the changes that FotRSU makes to the games' files. I would recommend backing all of them off and seeing what you end up with when re-doing the mission. In other words, back-off the mods, and reload the save prior to the mission, and hopefully you get the same assignment, and you're able to compare. Let us know what you find. In the meantime, I'll try to set my game up to play that mission only, and see what it does if I get there in October instead of December. I might set them all of the lifeguard missions up without any specific date, and just have the instructions say something like "Your submarines presence is required at such & such co-ordinates, to facilitate potential lifeguard resecues as soon as possible. Please report when on-station." or something to that effect. That way, no date foul-ups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I have successfully rescued downed pilots, but it is VERY difficult. First, if there is no "pink" cloud, forget it. The marker may be for a Japanese pilot (always invisible or not there, as you say), or the US Aviator may have drifted away. Finding a "pink" cloud is certainly possible, but you can't catch them unless you are chasing them at Flank speed! Otherwise they seem to move off into the distance at a good 12-15 knots. Then when you do get close enough it's really hard to see the survivor. They are usually on one edge of the cloud, bobbing up and down almost violently in the always present high waves. You have to be pretty close even to see them, and then you have to get them into view with your binoculars and mark them with the Space Key before the "rescue survivor" button lights up on the command line. Quickly click on that and you will complete the rescue.

I think the most I have rescued is two on a single mission (part of a campaign, actually) but I have never received an Objective Met signal. The whole process is frustrating, but there is still a tiny bit of satisfaction in actually saving a survivor.
Most of the missions do require six flyers "rescued", and it is uncanny how rough the seas are in some of them. The one I remember especially well was off the Philippines, simulating the Turkey Shoot (maybe), and it seemed that the US was losing the battle from all of the downed flyers... but like you say "rough seas", and it is very difficult to pick them up. The "survivor" in the water has to stay "targeted" to be able to have the button lit to pick them up, and if they don't come into the binocular's center of FOV, they can't be targeted or picked-up. Getting in too close, and you can't get them at all. Very stressful, especially if you're getting shot at... When the mission is created, there is also a "drift" setting for the survivor that is floating, so that might be too high. We might consult with Bubblehead1980, since he's noodled quite a bit with the TMO portion of the game, and even got it to where he could pick-up a liferaft with survivors. I just wonder about that though, in rough seas, since the liferaft is not the most stable vessel out there, and has a tendency to dump its occupants...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote