View Single Post
Old 01-18-18, 04:58 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

OK... Steam changes everything. The newer security on it and Windows makes it difficult to move with just a straight copy and paste, like the disk version can do. If you have no other games installed, then uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and Silent Hunter 4 is not a ~big~ deal, other than it does take forever and a day and a half...

Here's what you're dealing with:
Description of the Windows File Protection feature

Ever since Windows Vista came out, Windows has had this "feature", and I'm sure it's saved them an incoming call or two to tech support (they have ~tech~ support?!!???!!) It is part of User Access Control (UAC), and will rollback changes to certain files in the "protected" folders (there are several dozen of them).

If you have multiple hard drives, you'll want to log into Steam on your computer, not online, to "manage the Library". Here's a screenshot of mine, with all the little pop-ups open:

That come from the FotRSU mod thread, here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...91#post2496891

I've also answered this more thoroughly in a few other posts (that I can't find, of course), and THEBERBSTER has it in a couple of his tutorials, like here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21#post2297821

However, Steam Support has this:
Moving a Steam Installation and Games

There are two ways listed there. One is like what I did with the Steam app and using the Library, putting a 2nd one on a 2nd hard drive. The other is the "manual" way, which appears to be their recommended way of doing it manually, "after-the-fact".

Since you are dealing with a Steam install, I'd wait to install the UBoat Missions add-on until after you do the move. The move takes a ~long~ time. Good luck with it. It is a bother, but if you have multiple hard drives on your computer, using the Library is the way to go. If you don't, then you'll have to do the 2nd method on the Steam page. Good luck with it, and let us know how you get along...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote