View Single Post
Old 01-17-17, 06:48 AM   #110
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Well, it seems that the Hellcat was not too dissimilar in aspect from its predecessor. At first glance, some of the main differences are the reshaped wing profile, the lower wing position and the different undercarriage configuration

On cgtrader there is a free low-poly model of the aircraft. I didn't look into it yet, buit going by its picture it looks a bit under the standards of the Wildcat model that I am currently working on. On the other hand, Pack 3D got another model, extracted from Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron, but its poly count is a bit too high for our game.

I might overlap the two Hellcat models to the Wildcat one, and modify the latter to look like a Hellcat or I might use the low-poly Hellcat, staright-away or with some detail added, but I wont promise anything at this moment. If in the meanwhile some expert wants to point me to other salient external differences between the two planes, he is the welcome
The landing gear of course, retracted into the wings on Hellcat instead of the fuselage, as you noted. The front engine cowling on the Hellcat has an "air scoop", making it more of an oval shape to the Wildcat's round cowling. The Hellcat is "slenderer" through the waist, more "graceful" looking. The Wildcat is "pudgy" looking by comparison, more "round" in the fuselage (like me). The wingspan of the Hellcat is quit a bit wider, if I'm remembering correctly. I used to have models of both hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a kid, and my eyes were always drawn more to the Hellcat. I had visions of becoming a Navy pilot... but alas, I grew too tall - and I was blinded by a lass... - and for some reason, the USN change their planes, and went with jets...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote