View Single Post
Old 01-22-19, 11:52 AM   #1209
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo45 View Post
Thank you both for your patience for a real novice at this!
I think I understand now that I have to go into steam and from settings go to the steam library folder and create new pathway (add a new Library Folder) as you've both explained such a C/Games..... Is that a new folder just for SH3 or for all the games in the library? After doing that and changing to SilentHunter3 (no spaces) I can point the installer to it and it will download.
I hope I'm finally right on this and have not left anything out!
Many thanks to you both again.
If you have multiple "Primary" partitions and / or hard drives (~NOT~ a hidden backup partition on a laptop), you can use the Steam Library to create a new install location for any game you want. Most other games that conform to the Windows UAC interface (Windows Vista onward) should be fine in the Program Files directories. However, the Silent Hunter 3 & 4 games are older games, written for earlier versions of Windows, and they cannot be under the Program Files folders if you want to mod, so those are the only ones you have to move. If you only have a "C:\" drive in your computer, like my laptop, then you'll have to do the manual move, as they document on the Steam Support post linked to by THEBERBSTER. In which case, all of your games will have to make the move at the same time, since you are only allowed one Library folder per drive. I don't know why they only allow one Library per drive, but there it is... Moving the games by hand takes a while for things to copy. Probably about as long as it takes to install them all... - however, you don't lose your configurations with the move (supposedly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi pb
Good precise advice and information as always.

You are the STEAM king and I know nothing about it to be a be able to give any help on this when it comes up on the forum.

Peter
I really appreciate that THEBERBSTER! Steam really isn't that much more different that the disk version, other than you have to jump through different hoops, and sometimes start the game through the Steam interface. There are certain of the "commander" type interfaces that don't seem to take well, most likely due to the Steam "security". I'm shooting about 50% trying to use them, and trying to figure out why I got the LSH commander seemingly working, but not the GWX. Commander runs in both, it's just that in GWX, Steam seems to put things back the way it wants, not the way I want... - might have more later.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote