Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 07-09-17, 04:45 PM   #4927
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

All these years of playing the game, and I don't think I've ever noticed that "tonage"... We'll see if we can't find that and get that "fixed" too. The Sen Toku you encountered (btw, I'm ecstatic about that... ) is silent, since its top speed is rather high for a surfaced submarine. The are definitely traveling below the 1/2 rated top speed, which we'd previously though might be a factor (we're not 75% sure of that now). The one torp for it to sink might be three torps sometimes. Hard to say. We'll say "Good shooting, Captain!" But when we get keltos01's sub fully implemented, their size will matter, since they do have damage zones. Anyway, no radar signature either. Both issues ~might~ be rectified, as well as the fact that you're encountering a Sen Toku in early 1942 on that Umnak patrol. One other question about that, did you get buzzed by a Japanese scout float plane? Anyway, when we get the next version out, you should encounter a variety of submarines, which will eventually be date-appropriate...

One thing about that first patrol, you're basically doing a shake-down cruise, simulating the boats having just arrived at Dutch Harbor a few weeks previously. You just so happen to be sent on a patrol where the Japanese have brought their submarines in to launch planes to scout for the Midway / Aleutians invasion forces. If you go back real soon from the first patrol, you'll be sent to either the Attu or Kiska areas, dependent upon date, basically for picket duty. If you take a while out there, and come back in after about the middle of March, you'll be on patrol again in the same Umnak area, over towards Kodiak, looking for the Northern Strike Force. You're never told that as a skipper of course, due to top-secret clearance. If you come in too late from that first patrol, you're sent to Kiska to chase after them... From then on, to about the August of 1943 time frame is when I'm really curious about the traffic levels from the Kuriles to Attu / Kiska... I haven't linked any of the missions to the DynamicMiss.cfg yet, but that will be forthcoming, with little side-trips to Washington State or Pearl... Some of the Pearl boats will eventually also rotate up to there at times. I just wish we had some control over the "Base Stop" Objective, but oh well...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote