View Single Post
Old 11-03-16, 06:19 PM   #3
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
There is no attack map with all the dials to set your TDC in a real submarine. You must do that at the periscope, at the sonar station, at the radar station and sitting at the TDC inputs themselves.

I personally would be against a mod that turns running a submarine into an arcade game experience with dials and inputs on the attack map itself. That's one area that the SH4 devs got right and the SH3 devs got wrong.

As far as an "Attack Map" is concerned... "In the real world" could be a piece of paper (maybe graph paper?), with a 'mark' in the center, a ruler, and a 360deg protractor (preferably one with a short ruler attached at the center, seen a few of these).

The 'mark' would be my sub. When a bearing is called out by radar/sonar, I can mark it down, and then 'order', i.e. set the bearing on the dial, when range is called, by stadimeter/radar/sonar, I can measure with my ruler to that distance, and mark/draw a line, and order/set dial to the range, do that twice, deduce speed and bearing, and order/set the appropriate dials....
(I would love to have all of the "tools" on the navigation map on the in game "attack map" too!)
I can then look at the TDC/PK and say ok, it says shoot X degrees, so I can place my ruler (or swing the one that is attached to the protractor) over that bearing, and say ok, I agree/don't agree with that. (Mimicking the "line" on the in-game attack map.)

I've played a few other games where it doesn't show you where ships/subs/planes are, it shows you where you think they are (same as the PK in SH4). Unless you use a command to activate the "show me where they actually are". So this is not a problem (for me).

While I can understand you not wanting yet another arcade game. I will counter your statement with this...

Since I have a "crew", and my sub's ability to do ANYTHING is dependent on the "skill" of this crew, then I should NOT be running around doing it all myself. Which is what it feels like when I'm jumping between screens constantly.
I have a command bar to order speed/heading/depth changes as if I was verbally calling them out. I don't recall ever seeing on any movie, or documentary/news type program, ever seeing the captain walk over and set the engine telegraph, he always orders a setting.

Put the plotting tools on a map, with access to the TDC inputs will not turn it into an arcade game, it will however let me "order" the TDC to be set while looking at the plotting data.
As if I'm holding the map in front of me, looking at the TDC...

(As it is, I can see the TDC/PK output, even when looking through the periscope, which is a bit arcade-ish if you really want to start splitting hairs. )

For that matter, a screen with JUST the TDC would be absolutely awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Now there are some changes that would be nice. The stadimeter should work like the real one with you inputting the height of the target characteristic you want to measure. Bearing and range should be separately entered from the periscope. The radar should have digital range and range and bearing input buttons for the TDC, similar to the sonar station. The person at the TDC should be able to digitally enter bearing, range and speed. You should be able to enter a digital range at the periscope and TDC. All that is hard coded and our hands are tied. CapnScurvy has made a digital range readout at the radar.
Seperate bearing would be a great start, all of them separate would be great too, less time clicking between tabs would save me time and tedium. Since they ARE seperate on the TDC itself, I've got a lot of "black" around that circular scope view...

Ability to enter from the radar also a plus... but if it's hardcoded, a mute point I guess...

I downloaded this one...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1901
I'm waiting until I'm "in port" before I install it however....
I'll dig for the other one you mentioned.

Thanks for the mod suggestion...

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 11-03-16 at 10:18 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote