View Single Post
Old 07-11-17, 11:11 AM   #4951
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
ach....life's details can be soooo frustrating. how does one capture a screen print in less than 19.2k? i use an excellent screen print utility but the captures are too large to fit within subsim's constraints. how do you guys capture a screen and paste it into one of these messages?
Gimp works very well, as well as an old copy of PhotoshopLE I have. The way I do it, is install Gimp, set the file associations you want (I leave MS Photo Viewer as my "default" image opener), and then I right-click on a bmp file in the Silent Hunter root directory, and choose "Open With..." to choose Gimp (or whatever app you want to use). Gimp has a cropping tool, so I'll usually do that first to cut out the unwanted areas of a picture, then I use the Image / Re-size and get it down to the size I want. It's usually best to "Constrain Proportions" to keep the top and sides the same proportion. You can choose pixels or inches or millimeters (or something else) as your unit of measurement. Once you get things set the way you want - there's also a Zoom-in and Zoom-out to help you with your editing - but once you have what you want, you have to use the File - Export in Gimp. The Save and Save As are for "native" Gimp files. When you go to Export the file though, choose the jpeg option at the bottom, and rename the file, maybe even saving it in a different folder for easier retrieval later. There will be a dialog that pops-up and asks you how much jpeg compression you want to use, between 1 & 10, with 10 being the bigger file, but more clarity. I usually try to keep my files around 100-150kb, which is generally fine for on-screen viewing. If you are after detail though, full-size is sometimes necessary.

Right now, Photobucket has ticked-off probably a third of the world's population with the change in their Terms Of Service, and they are definitely NOT the place to go, but Imgur.com is an OK (for now) place to upload photos to, and then "link" to them for posting here. While the site has an image upload thingie, they are generally rather tiny, and tough to see on the screen...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote