View Single Post
Old 01-09-23, 03:01 PM   #8668
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtown View Post
So this was the fix. Point the sound device at my monitors speakers then shift it back to my topping DAC. Weird but hey its working. GAME ON!
That is the way the 'modern' Windows OS works, versus the way the old DirectX v9 games work. Windows likes to "share" certain assets, like the audio stream, but does NOT like multiple sample rates and bit depths. SH4 on the other hand, wants exclusive use of the audio stream, and will change sample rates and bit-depths on the fly rather frequently. The two sometimes do NOT play well together, especially if you do any DVD / Blueray movie viewing with 48k 24-bit audio. Windows will set the audio stream to that, but then your SH4 game wants 44.1k and 16 bit audio later, and cannot get use of the audio stream. In Windows 10, use Start / Settings / System / Sound and scroll down the page to "Sound Control Panel". Once in Sound Control Panel, on the Playback tab, click on your sound device (Speakers) or the default playback. Sometimes, all you have to do is then click on the "Properties" link for that in the lower-right, then on the Advanced tab there, and the "Test" button, and get the overly loud music tune up on the left, down on the right, and you're good to go. If you instead get an error message, you might have to change the Device, the Sample Rate, Bit Depth, and / or re-start the computer and try again... Windows 11 seems to be worse than 10 in this regard, and it is more difficult to get to the Control Panel, but it is still in there somewhere. I just can't remember "where" off the top of my head...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote