View Single Post
Old 11-19-16, 07:03 PM   #2687
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
June 42 heading from Midway to the Marshall Islands. About 500 miles out from Midway on the surface I receive a sonar contact followed by a radar contact about a minute later of a vessel heading my way. I go to the sonar station but cant pick it up..i was never able to pick it up at this station during my entire contact with it surfaced or submerged. I then went to periscope depth thinking its a friendly this close but it would be good practice to set up for. It was night and calm. Once the ship came into view I noticed that the reflection of the ship on the water was brighter than what I was used to seeing. It was a confirmed friendly heading to Midway I gather. I then surfaced and saw the ship about 2k away. I looked back a few minutes later and it was gone. It was a slow mover and shouldn't have gone that fast. I could not pick it up on radar or sonar. I then when to TC to get to the islands and I picked it up again on radar at that point.

Also while pulling out of midway on the surface from the bridge I noticed that the water on the outer edge of my field of vision appeared to have brighter sections than the rest of the water. I think I read that having been reported earlier.
About the only thing I can see coming that way that's a "friendly" would be an Australian KSQ vessel, aka: Coastal Merchant, aka: Coastal Composite Freighter, dependent upon which piece of documentation you're looking at... I do not immediately see anything wrong with the single vessel RGG, or the file it's in, which is the 42a_Others_Merchants.mis, which runs from March 1st, 1942 through August 31st, 1942. That particular group has a 70% chance to spawn every 144 hours, with the single vesssel spawning at a 100% rate... for what all that's worth... It's route is from Northern Australia (Rockhampton??) to Midway, via a glancing blow to the Marshalls. Running the file by itself in my game, with my boat, and I see no issue. That's not to say that there isn't a problem with it on your computer. I'll keep looking into the graphics stuff. Can you tell us about your computer and video card, and what resolution you're running it all at?

Now, all that said, on my boat, half the crew is incompetent most of the time when leaving Midway early war on a Porpoise boat. Almost like a McHale's Navy Tim Conway in every seat... First they see things, then they don't. We pick up a sonar contact, then it's gone. Time-wise on the sonar contact, they would have had to have been out over 100k for as long as it take to close with them coming AT me... Radar? what's that? It turns on and off when it wants to. Airplanes? My word... I don't know how many times I've been down looking at the chart, planning an attack or a route, and mind you, there's at least four people up above... and the first indication I get of an airplane in the area is when the bomb goes off on the bridge, and I hear "We're under attack!" and "We're taking damage, SIR!!!" no kidding... we're sinking too! Very erratic crew behavior from there.

The grafting of another set of sensor configuration files into the mod has helped immeasurably in that department. I'm out now with a boat from Midway, start of a new career, going toward the Marshalls for our assignment, and these guys are much improved in their reporting, and following of contacts.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote