View Single Post
Old 12-07-13, 01:00 PM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I have done...Our cfg entries are very similar and it's clearly visible that we used the same method.

Quote:
But, that's "only" cfg file and it doesn't have any impact on sub performance. It only defines values for UI buttons and commands, if we use ingame speed scale in knots or depth scale in meters instead of buttons with preset values, cfg file is completely irrelevant.
I think you mean that engine ratios set in cfg files do not affect neither rpm/speed curve, nor maximum engine outputs (which are always in the range -1 +1 if manual speed selection is used). If this is what you meant, I agree with both your assertions.

Quote:
I have impression that you were struggling to decide which sources are "more correct" and relevant? I had the same problem but maybe they are all correct in some way? Maybe British didn't have enough knowledge to "take maximum" from the U-boat or maybe sea conditions were different that day..Maybe British sub was heavier/lighter than the sub used in German manual... Who knows...What we know for sure is that top speed of type VIIC was somewhere between 16.7 and 18.1 knots with RPM of 470-490 and that is enough for us.
Rpm figures and speed outputs reported by the two sources are pretty similar after all, and their graphs are almost identical. Data from the German manual seem to suggest better engine outputs, but those figures had to be just theoretical outputs.

Quote:
I must say that I'm pretty much surprised to realize that there were so much work with sub sim and cfg files but no one ever tried to actually prevent ridiculous underwater and surface acceleration and to match turning times and radius ?!
For a long while, U-boat Historical Specifications was considered a must-have mod. Then ddrgn stopped updating it, a few of its settings were merged into New-UIs, and the rest of the mod became abondonware.

Many of the specs you want to adjust, are affected by drag parameters. Besides hull-specific drag coefficients (set in u-boat sim files), there are also additional drag coefficients for armament and conning towers (it is a known fact that they affected heavily boats' handling). For some reason devs didn't use them, but they work, as tested by Volodya a while back. I suggest you making a good use of them, but beware: they use a different scaling factor than main unit drags. For a start, you should have a close look into the following post by Ducimus on the SubmarineSimCentral forum:

http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1953

Last, if you also plan to make diving times more realistic, the following threads by Rubini might come in handy:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...78#post1846678
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...60#post2017360

Quote:
Hm, one more thing...

I've noticed that you was exploring extensively dependencies between max engine turation(aka RPM) and submarine speeds, right?
Didn't you realize that max engine turation value has nothing to do with submarine performance? Even if you set some lower value , like 100 for example, the sub will still have the same max speed and acceleration performance. What will be reduced is submarine noise signature(as far as AI is considered), animation of propellers rotation and values shown in RPM gauges...
In short, with full speed ahead, you'll have sub which speeding up to ~17.9 knots but with much slower propellers rotation and rpm gauge will show you 100 rpm...
Of course speed and acceleration won't change with max rpm, as far as max speed and engine power are fixed. I and Fifi have only tried macthing rpm and speeds with the corresponding values reported in our sources, with the intent of getting realistic noise signatures at various speeds/engine ratio bells (Schleichfahrt = ca. 90 rpm = ca. 2.4 knots = somewhere between Kleine Fahrt and Langsame Fahrt; source: http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTBNotesPropulsion.htm, combined with our other sources).

Last edited by gap; 12-07-13 at 01:42 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote