SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-13, 10:09 AM   #1
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default [WIP] Dive times&crew not going below deck in time fix

Hi guys,

SH5 have yet some basic issues not fixed (at least that I know).
The dive times super-really fast and consequentelly the crew not going below deck in time is one of that.
After some hours messing here and there I found a workaround and fixed these issues.

Now the dive times are almost 1´20" sec for normal dives and 40" for crash time, the crew is going below/updeck perfectelly (not more crew outside below water!!), much more realistic without any side effect.

This workaround changes the ballast values (is not easy to note what and in what exact order to change there) and also the script for Ai crew commands behaviour, making the crew dive/surface behaviour almost perfect.

Before any mod release i should like to know if a mod for these issues already exist or not, as I`m relativelly "new" to SH5 and should like to avoid unnecessary work.

Thanks in any advice.

Last edited by Rubini; 02-28-13 at 11:54 AM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 10:36 AM   #2
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
..Now the dive times are almost 1´20" sec for normal dives and 40" for crash time, the crew is going below/updeck perfectelly (not more crew outside below water!!), much more realistic without any side effect.
Hi Rubini

It's great news
But how these changes will be compatible with some must-have mods
I mean:
More Crew Commands by Dialog - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166236
MightyFine Crew Mod - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163591

Almost all players use these mods..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 11:52 AM   #3
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Hi Rubini

It's great news
But how these changes will be compatible with some must-have mods
I mean:
More Crew Commands by Dialog - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166236
MightyFine Crew Mod - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163591

Almost all players use these mods..
Thanks volodya61 by the info. Sometime ago (an year) i made a mod for MFC/MCCD/SBDM fixing the crash dive time issue/crew above deck, so I´m awared about them. But this old fix never touched the others dives commands that are also very fast and frequentlly the crew also stay in the deck submerged. This new workaround solve totally all these issues, including the crash dive time again (as described on the new times on the first post). The dive times are now reallistic for an uboat simulation/game as it mut be since it´s release.
So, no others mods that have already fixed these dive time issues?
Old 02-28-13, 11:58 AM   #4
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
So, no others mods that have already fixed these dive time issues?
As far as I know, no.. still very fast dive..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 02-28-13, 12:09 PM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
As far as I know, no.. still very fast dive..
I am currently working on making guns on deck and on the conning tower to affect sensibly dive times. I only hope that the Additional Drag Coeficients are applied correctly in game

P.S: looking forward to your mod Rubini.
but make sure that it will be compatible with the popular mods pointed by Volodya
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 12:31 PM   #6
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Hi guys,

SH5 have yet some basic issues not fixed (at least that I know).
The dive times super-really fast and consequentelly the crew not going below deck in time is one of that.
After some hours messing here and there I found a workaround and fixed these issues.

Now the dive times are almost 1´20" sec for normal dives and 40" for crash time, the crew is going below/updeck perfectelly (not more crew outside below water!!), much more realistic without any side effect.

This workaround changes the ballast values (is not easy to note what and in what exact order to change there) and also the script for Ai crew commands behaviour, making the crew dive/surface behaviour almost perfect.

Before any mod release i should like to know if a mod for these issues already exist or not, as I`m relativelly "new" to SH5 and should like to avoid unnecessary work.

Thanks in any advice.
Hi Rubini.
I remember reading a question about this before and I searched for anyone working a mod like that. There is no mod out for this particular issue. The only thing that even came close was for crash dives. If you're using TDW's UI there is a delay setting so you can extend the amout of time between ordering and the actual dive commencing.
I think someone was trying to look into this but it was specifically for crash dives.
D40
Old 02-28-13, 01:12 PM   #7
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
..there is a delay setting so you can extend the amout of time between ordering and the actual dive commencing..
If you are talking about this option - Time delay before crash dive order is given, I think it only simulates crew clearing the conning tower deck and not the dive time itself..

Old 02-28-13, 02:26 PM   #8
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Hi Rubini.
I remember reading a question about this before and I searched for anyone working a mod like that. There is no mod out for this particular issue. The only thing that even came close was for crash dives. If you're using TDW's UI there is a delay setting so you can extend the amout of time between ordering and the actual dive commencing.
I think someone was trying to look into this but it was specifically for crash dives.
D40
Thanks Dogfish by the info. Like volodya said, the option provide on TDW's UI is just cosmetic, don't really change the dive time, the crew freq. stay on deck and also don't fix anything on others dives commands. Anyway if TDW could expand this wait time forr alll dive commands i can fix the crew behaviour, resulting in also a good mod. but for now i willwill adjust the ballast for a good {and real] dive behaviour with the crew script. If we have time and good ideas we could also try to fix the surface time that is also so much fast and totally irrealistic.
Old 02-28-13, 02:47 PM   #9
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I am currently working on making guns on deck and on the conning tower to affect sensibly dive times. I only hope that the Additional Drag Coeficients are applied correctly in game

P.S: looking forward to your mod Rubini.
but make sure that it will be compatible with the popular mods pointed by Volodya
Nice idea gap! Objects drag can also be good and also very realistic. Btw, i have not yet looked at the surface time that is also ridiculous, but seems that it didn't changed with ballast adjusts like the dive time. Any idea?
Old 02-28-13, 03:55 PM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Nice idea gap! Objects drag can also be good and also very realistic. Btw, i have not yet looked at the surface time that is also ridiculous, but seems that it didn't changed with ballast adjusts like the dive time. Any idea?
Dive planes drag coefficient maybe?
Old 02-28-13, 04:59 PM   #11
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Dive planes drag coefficient maybe?
And about Engine power? Perhaps we can also make the uboat with more realistic movement too? (I mean turn time, accleration time, etc)
Old 02-28-13, 06:15 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
And about Engine power? Perhaps we can also make the uboat with more realistic movement too? (I mean turn time, accleration time, etc)
many have attempted overhauling U-boat specifications in an attempt to make them closer to the historical ones. The most popular mod of these mods was U-boat Historical Specifications by ddrgn. When I started hanging around on subsim, it was considered a must have mod but then, dunno why, it disappeared from player's mod lists (maybe merged into New UI's )

Answering to your question: side effects are around the corner, but why not attempting?
Old 03-01-13, 09:11 PM   #13
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I believe crash dives were delayed only for the time it took the crew to scramble to the front of the boat. Their combined weight was the big factor in be able to do a crash dive. Watch the movie U-571 again.

Now modding the crew to scramble to the front of the boat would be something to see. Except for those needed in the engine room for a crash dive.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 07:43 PM   #14
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

The weight of the crew could influde a bit but i think that no too much.
Every member weight about 70-80 kg and the boat 700 tons

The most important factor was the flooding of main ballast tanks combined with the bow an stern planes with the forward motion .

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 07:08 PM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
The weight of the crew could influde a bit but i think that no too much.
Every member weight about 70-80 kg and the boat 700 tons

The most important factor was the flooding of main ballast tanks combined with the bow an stern planes with the forward motion .
Agree.

unit_Submarine properties which may affect diving times in game:

Front_diveplane => drag (Diveplane's efficiency coeficient)
Rear_diveplane => drag (" ")
Ballast => ManBT_flood_speed (Max main ballast tanks flood speed [l/s])
Ballast => DiveBT_flood_speed (Max dive ballast tanks flood speed [l/s])

Deck and Flak guns FR additional drag coefficients might play a role