View Single Post
Old 10-12-19, 11:08 AM   #8597
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Here is the seven and one half minutes of trying to be allowed to send the report and then being ordered to return to base at the very end.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493584646

At night I can spot ships much better than my deck watch. Conversely, they spot shore batteries far better at night than I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Does that also apply to convoys? I have noticed at times I have tried to report a convoy but never seems to know it is a convoy So I can't. By the time I get close enough to get more ships with steady sighting I'm far to close to deck gun range and I submerge.
I usually find shore batteries after my conn has been holed...

but yeah, there is difficulty in sighting ships at night in the game. Having to positively identify three ships in the group, and then NOT lose contact with any until the report is completed, makes it a tough chore. I am usually found out about that time... A couple of things a person can try, is to do one sweep with the radar, and see if that will "point" the watch to look in the right location. Of course, that might "point" the enemy to look your way also. Probably easier to do is to use either the TBT or the periscope, and if you can make out the outline of a ship, go ahead and "Lock" onto it. That will sometimes elicit a response from the crew (or has it just been coincidence??). You can see in Immelmann's vid that it appears he is rather uncomfortably close for my blood, and his crew still can't see the enemy. There really should be a way to have the game sort out a "large group of ships, location, direction, one CA identified, suspect more", or whatever, and not have it fall through all of the possible responses to "disengage target" lines.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote