View Single Post
Old 07-03-18, 10:45 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Steam should be installed in one of Windows' "Program Files" folders, and the default folder it uses is the easiest to use, and what you want. The folder "C:\Program Files\" is used for 64-bit applications, while "C:\Program Files (x86)\" is used for 32-bit programs. Both folders are 'protected' by Windows from 'unauthorized' alteration. Steam is an 'authorized' app, since it uses a Windows install routine, as is Silent Hunter. It's when you go to alter files in Silent Hunter with a mod, that you run afoul of the Windows protection. JSGME is just a little utility that is used to over-write files, such as text, graphic and other files in a game, and keeps track of the ones it changes. It does not use a Windows install routine. In other words, it's not 'authorized'by Windows to make such changes. Therefore, if you want to activate mods, you have to use the Steam app on your computer to put the Steam game Library for a Silent Hunter install somewhere else, like "C:\Games\" or some such. Read this post:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...05#post2537205

It's one of several I've posted before, and has a picture of the Steam app on my computer. There's also a link to the Steam Tech site with instructions on how to manually move your Steam Library if you have to. It takes a while, but when completed, you can mod your Silent Hunter games. It is a good idea to browse through some of those links in THEBERBSTER's thread I linked above. Peter keeps more up-to-date on this stuff than just about anybody.

As for the mod order, it is important many more times than not. Parts of TMO are over-written by RSRDC, and parts of the both of them are over-written by OTC. If you don't do those in the correct order, things will not function correctly, and you could very well CTD.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote