Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 03-31-19, 08:14 PM   #7943
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

The mission is fine. I've been through it three ways of sideways. However, there are a few things to note about it, and any insertion op for that matter. First, here's a screen shot of the northeastern coast of Hokkaido:

You are quite a bit East of Kushiro, outside the bay for Akkeshi. I have the only two elements in the mission in the right-hand "Explorer" pane. One is the Objective, and the other is the definition for the "zone" where you drop the spy off. Notice in the properties box I have pulled up that it is only 3km radius. Not a very big area. Also, in FotRSU, if you can't launch, you usually do have to either come in submerged, or if surfaced, submerge (to PD) and surface again (usually) inside the confines of the "zone", which is that circle on the map above. That will usually "trick" the launch mechanics of the game. I cannot find anything anywhere that sets the speed that your boat is traveling at to affect the launch. All you have to do is put the telegraph at Stop. As has been noted, they can be a flaming mass, but so long as you launch them, "mission accomplished" and you needs to find egress...

All that said, KaleunMarco and myself have been doing preliminary testing on a possible future mod for FotRSU, and have discovered anomalies with some boats under certain circumstances. We can take a given boat - except the Gar - from Brisbane to any other base and transfer and do the missions. One particular mission will crash with the Gar when going to Midway. Yet, if you are already at the Midway with the Gar, the mission works. How many of those little tricks are in the game? The mission is fine. The boat is fine. That base is fine.

It would be wonderful to be able to explain some of the situations and what causes them, but I cannot, except to say that the game is weird sometimes, and has minimal (non-existent) modding documentation. Front Runner a few months ago stumbled upon one of these little anomaly "triggers" in FotRSU having had the "ID=MidWar" transition to the "ID=LateWar" a couple of days too early, and that upset the game's 24-hour "clock". Threw the "day" cycle off. There is no explaining it, but January 10, 1944 versus January 16, 1944 made a world of difference. This is the area which we are now attempting to "document", so that future modders don't 'find' the same trap(s)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote