Thread: Getting Started
View Single Post
Old 12-26-18, 08:09 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Windows 10 does not like the older 3D games. On my. Win10 laptop, I've had to turn all of the "Notifications" stuff off each time the OS updates, else Win10 takes control of the keyboard and cursor anytime it encounters something it does not like, so try to turn those off. It's that little dialog "square" in the lower-right corner of the screen, down on the task bar. You can click on that, choose "All Settings", then "System", then "Notifications & actions", or do the same thing from the Start menu and just click on "Settings" there.

Secondly, here's some reading for you: Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install from CapnScurvy. A really good and thorough discussion on several aspects of Win10, SH4 and the Large Address Aware (LAA) app. Not that it is a necessity to use LAA on the Stock game, but it does help, especially with that "lag" that you're seeing. (The "blanking" of the screen is most likely the "Notifications".) Another thing you want to do is match your display monitor's "native" or "recommended" resolution. My laptop has a native resolution of 1600x900 (yes, it's old), so I have Windows set to that, and then in Silent Hunter, I used the "Options" menu and "Graphics" to match that resolution. Re-start the game, and it'll change to match.

One of the big statements from CapnScurvy in that thread is "
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy
... Secondly, keep your Silent Hunter game install out of either the "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)", or the "ProgramData" folders. The reason is to avoid the handicap Windows uses on us when a program/game is defaulted to install in one of these folders. Windows won't let you change the properties of the program/games loaded in these folders because it thinks you'll screw something up...
". If you have a disk version of the game, and you happen to be in a "Program Files" folder, you can just copy and move the install to another folder. If you have Steam, the process is more complex, but doable. Let us know!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote