Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 07-08-17, 07:19 AM   #4898
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

There are some utilities out there that can give you a graphical image of the percentage of RAM a program uses, but the MS Task Manager is basically an "Overview" kind of thang. I'm not sure you'd be able to isolate the SH4 exe and it's associated processes enough to see a change in footprint, unless you do a "before and after" snapshot of the same Windows boot, and compare them.

By running the LAA applet a 2nd time, you can see whether or not the SH4.EXE is set "TRUE" under the LAA column. If it is, it's being "advertised" to Windows that it is capable of addressing more than 2 Gig of RAM. Windows still is the memory manager though, and will allocate based upon its perceived "need". So if Windows says "I need more RAM for the Windows Update process." It will allocate more RAM for it, at the expense of the rest of the computer. Even still though, SH4.EXE, with that TRUE in the LAA column, as illustrated in CapnScurvy's screen grab, tells you that it is enabled, and that's all that we're concerned about from here. Windows does the rest.

If you need to free more system resources, there are little "game starter" applets that can kill Windows processes as you load SH4.EXE, and then re-enable said processes when you exit from the SH4.EXE process. Caution must be exercised when using them, and I'll tell you right now that a Win10 user may well end up with a black screen, flashing cursor up in the upper left corner. If used, you definitely want one written for your OS. LAA should suffice for most systems, probably in the 99% of Windows users range.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote