View Single Post
Old 06-18-17, 03:46 PM   #4753
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
It turns out my system does not like to mix mono and stereo .wav files! The "int" file discussed above that played perfectly is a stereo file. The "ext" file is mono and would not play, except on RealPlayer, which is no help. As Propbeanie suggested, I downloaded the Audacity Audio editor and started messing around. Luckily I imported a stereo file first followed by the mono "ext" file. I used the software to duplicate the stereo file, deleted the duplicate entry sounds, copied the mono file sounds and pasted it to both of the now empty stereo strings, and voila! A stereo version of the mono file that plays perfectly with Windows Media. So next I did the same with the Periscope_UpDown.wav file. I learned the hard way that you must also first import any stereo file, or else you cannot create a blank one. Anyway, I created the stereo version, saved it to the Sound file on v0.61, fired up the game and Crap! No periscope sound. I took a break and realized that I had to unload the mod from JSGME and reload it with the changed Sound folder. It works! I now have my long lost Periscope sounds.

I am so grateful to you guys (esp. you, Propbeanie, and Cap'n Scurvy) for taking an interest in my little problem. You pointed me to the right path.

In return I am willing to go through the somewhat laborious effort to convert all the Mono .wav files in the Sound folder to Stereo. I may be the only one with the problem, but perhaps not, and if that will help someone in return I'm glad to do it. Just don't expect immediate results. I may be retired, but there are a lot of demands on my time - I have to plow through my email, catch up on Subsim, get my latest patrol running, walk our dogs, take a lunch break, have a little nap, and gather my strength to make it to the supper table, after which there is Jeopardy, NCIS and bed time. Busy, Busy, Busy!

Let me know.
You shouldn't have to be doing that though... It's something to do with your sound card set-up. I've got Win7-64, Home (or whatever), but the "Sound" settings stuff should be the same... maybe (I've got my Control Panel set to display as a menu) - From the "Start" menu, choose the "Control Panel". If you're set up like most people, click on "Hardware & Sound", and then on "Sound". That will bring up this little jewel:

On that little window, click on your sound card "speakers", or "output" dependent upon how they're labeled (you see both ways on my computer), and that should then make the "Properties button active. Click on it, and you'll get:

Now click on that "Advanced" tab, and it'll open the actual properties that your computer is set to:

This is how I'm suspecting your computer is set. Notice it says 48kHz, DVD qualiity? If that's what it is, click on the drop-down arrow there, and scroll up one choice to the:

to where it says "CD Quality"... 44.1kHz.

If your computer ~IS~ set correctly, let us know. Whether it'd be the game or the card's "proprietary" settings (Creative), I don't know. Did changing the 3D slider in the game make any change whatsoever?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote