Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 06-11-17, 07:20 PM   #4640
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

OK, first pictures of v0.60 on my computer... and I don't know why I didn't think to snap a few screenies sooner, but oh well.

I had dealt with one of the AI Sen Toku subs that s7rikeback had been working on the other day, that the shtinking this has too much surface fire-power to even begin to think about engaging one on the surface, so when I get a "Submarine spotted" warning exactly in the patrol zone I had set up south of Unalaska, I was thinking "finally!" to myself. Then I looked at it in the periscope, and it's a Sen Toku, the biggest, baddest submarine the Japanese made... So I dove to PD and proceeded to lose it. Turns out that there is the occasional zig or zag in their routes. This dude had a plane, which I took a screenshot of, and then proceeded to forget to process it... It does not show on radar (I'm in an S-18 boat), nor does it have a sonar "footprint". We'll have to look into that. Also, the Date is April 19, 1942, and it's a Sen Toku, so we'll have to get into the availability dates, but anyway, after re-surfacing and much wrangling and finagling, I did finally manage to get myself into a reasonable firing position, though I was at 60 degrees, not 90... But the dudes had turned towards me, so it was now, or much much later, so I let fly from 800 yards. All three shot did impact, and I got a dud and two explosions, of which, this is #3 hitting:

like I said, mostly dumb luck just to hit 'em. Next shot is the damage done. Now, this is not a "natural" picture, I brightened this up quite a bit, and I'm "underwater", but you can see where there were two explosions, and damge is visible... I just wish this game could show that "dud" sticking in the side of their boat, but oh well...

It just kind of cracks me up that there's just been two explosions on board, both under the conn, their boat is submerging without IJN intervention, and the forward gun crew is still faithfully manning their battle station...

Here's our after-action report. Looks fine, but there isn't a "Sunk Ship" icon on the Navigation Chart. I don't know if it actually counts toward renown... I thought that it would have been nice if I would have compared my before and after renown total... Next time.

... and here we are coming back into Dutch Harbor, on a glorious morning... I do have to check the turn-around time in the campaign, because this is April 21, and our next mission is showing I'm on the boat on April 23... 'course, we were only out 7 days on the first patrol, so I'm sure ComSubPac doesn't like us doing all this "testing"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote