View Single Post
Old 02-17-17, 08:30 AM   #3868
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Right now, I'm going over the "Yes Sir" phrase of all AI Sub Crewman positions. That will take a bit of time.

I was just about to work on an issue I've run into with the game when a player encounters a ship (usually a warship) and yet, you don't hear it when a player uses the Hydrophone for himself. I've stated before that I've believed when a ship has its "MaxSpeed=" setting in its .sim file set at over half its current travel speed (set through the .mis files)....you won't hear it through the Hydrophones. Even if the thing is right beside the sub!!

For instance, a warship with a "MaxSpeed=32" won't be heard if its traveling 16 knots or less. I ran into this several times when starting a Campaign game outside Pearl Harbor, beginning 1943 (when you have Radar for my most recent Radar tests). Merchants don't usually have this issue because the average MaxSpeed for a merchant is around 15 knots or so, and their travel speed is a lot of times set at 8 or 9 knots (greater than half its MaxSpeed). The "Harbor" mission's within FOTRS Ultimate has (from time to time, it's random) several U.S. Destroyers passing by your "At Sea" start position. I couldn't help to notice a Clemson, a FletcherII (which by the way, needs a .sil image for the map marker), a Benson Destroyer, did not produce a sound to be heard through the Hydrophone! Although a far off convoy of merchants coming into port was heard just fine.

I think I've figured out why......but I'll have to test things further before I go crowing about a fix!!

==============

As far as the SD Radar, there might be a possible fix for it too. I'm beginning to think "outside the box" and I'm wondering if it's possible to eliminate the SD Radar all together and just use the SJ setup to do both. I've mentioned I've got the SJ to show planes detected with the SJ (I put it into FOTRS Ultimate some time ago).....why not use just the SJ to look for all possible targets and follow its detection results? I'm not sure what would become of the Navigation Map showing a planes whereabouts...or if it would even matter, if the plane is reported through the Text Message Box, and shown on the Radar screen?

Just thinking out loud now, but if I eliminated the SD completely from the game; using the SJ, which is capable to be turned off at the discretion of the player, what pitfalls or positives would there be? Just thinking out loud!?

========

More thinking this morning: I'm wondering if keeping the SD intact, but getting the Antenna to go below the waterline (which I'm assuming turns off the SD detection) while the sub is surfaced, would work?? I'm thinking THIS might be the answer. A shorter/smaller modeled pair of antennas would be necessary to "hide" them within the sub model when their retracted....but I think this may work.
{Maxwell Smart} Ahh yesh, the old "fake bomb" trick, the old "invisible target" trick... {Maxwell Smart}

How does the game have the SD radar on the S Boats? You have to "buy" it with renown, right? The first couple of missions you run in a new career with an "S" Boat, and you don't even have SD enabled, correct? How do they do that?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote