View Single Post
Old 08-23-16, 08:13 AM   #1501
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
... From what I've read in several post war studies from both the U.S. Navy and Air force, we gave the Japanese way too much credit for having electronic advancements such as we had. Actually the ASW from them was non existent for most of the war. I'm not wanting to get into the specifics now, but the way the Japanese ran their wartime shipping (or protection of same) was nothing like what occurred in the Atlantic. Freighter's seldom ran in convoys of more than a couple of ships, hardly ever having protection. The Japanese Army (always at odds with their Navy) many times controlled specific areas of the Pacific, it was from these separate commanders that would decide whether they wished to provide any support at all for the merchant fleet. Frankly, the Japanese in all their bluster ran quite a different war then the Germans.
(btw, most of my "reports" are very tongue-in-cheek [tic], with a smile on my face)
So my feelings of there being just a 'wee pinch too many' ASW groups beyond the perimeter of a harbor are not off-base? - I'm trying to figure out where the excess is coming from, and why I'm not encountering very many merchants comparatively. I haven't had a chance to try without the AI 1-5 settings yet, because I thought I'd see what kind of mission I got when I got to Area 6, so max-peck's changes could be documented by my first try... not to be, I just came from getting sunk by another ASW group, with 2 dd, 2 de and 3 or 4 patrol craft... Too many to count. I was surrounded before I knew what I'd encountered. Almost like I'd wandered in between 2 or 3 ASW groups... Either that, or it was the leading edge of a HUGE invasion fleet enroute to Rabaul, but I didn't stay alive long enough to see it... - btw, the weather seems to have been stuck on a medium fog, visibility at about 1500-1800 yards, which is how I got caught. For some reason, no sonar contacts until they were practically on top of me, almost like everyone was sitting around waiting on me to wander into their alley...

I gotta run to the hardware store and won't be able to do much of anything until I take a break from "work" in about an hour or so...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-23-16 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added the Capn's quote - turned the page...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote