View Single Post
Old 03-31-16, 05:47 AM   #4618
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmic View Post
but you cannot save game if you have ship nearby dont you?
This is strongly recommended by TWOS readme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1981 View Post
you can save,i always save game when some ships nearby,it is ok,and no error at all,,i even saved game when a large convey nearby....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
never save near ship, destroyed ship, convoys the game cos later u will get a corrupted save game and the game will crash ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1981 View Post
i have played 14 missions from 1939.Sep to1942.Nov,no ctd at all,,maybe i am lucky?
Actually, unlike SH3, almost 99% gamesaves made with AI units in your rendering area will work just fine.
I also frequently save my game in home port, before the attack with units in sight, friendly units i sight ect...
However, that "1 %" still remains and because of that I like to have few previous "safe"gamesaves in my pocket as a backup if something goes wrong. SH gamesaves are very, very complex...
I learned from my experience that gamesaves will become corrupted in situations when certain "bugged" units are present in the area, like damaged or more likely destroyed unit which doesn't want to sink (not always but sometimes) and especially over spawned airplanes bug (this one will corrupt gamesave for sure).

This bug can be recognized by sudden excessive game lag and FPS drop some time after convoy engagement and player can also spot in the area large airplanes formations with 10-20 airplanes or more. It can look impressive but saving game near these formations will most likely brake the gamesave.

Fortunately, these situations are not so common and if you have few "backup" gamesave in spare, effect on gameplay is minimal...

Saving and reloading the game when "sticky destroyer" occurs or in home port when orange anchor icon fail to pop-up are perfectly safe...

I hope this will make things more clear...

UPDATE
I think I have found functional solution for occasional corrupted game saves due to airplanes overspawn and probably other bugs in players rendering area...

Namely, one only have to delete "Special.txt" file from the gamesave folder (...Documents\SH5\data\cfg\SaveGames\0000000*). The corrupted gamesave will become functional again...

It seems that this file contains data about current situation in players rendering area and if the game is saved in "wrong moment", the file will become corrupted.
By deleting it, all bugged units will be removed and player will be able to continue campaign...

Last edited by vdr1981; 04-09-16 at 05:25 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote