View Single Post
Old 09-03-15, 03:27 AM   #317
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
So some of us tweak the spread dial. But we do it seat of the pants. Sure we hit targets, and miss them. ...Then I bet ColonelSandersLite comes out with the precise, mathematically refined, version. Mine will be based on that but in my cheap, dirty, rule of thumb, figure on the fly style....
I just measure the length of the target in degrees with the periscope when I really care. Is that cheating?

A rundown of a graphical solution would be to draw the torpedo track. At target range centered on the end of the track, draw a circle representing target ship length with a radius of 100y for medium, 150y for large, or 200y for very large ships. Draw a line representing target ship course through the center of the circle. Measure the angle from the center of the circle to one of the edges (radius, not diameter!) where the course line intersects the ship length circle. Divide by the angle by 2 for maximum left/right spread in degrees. It would be a little crude with the game's tool accuracy though.

Actually, a picture is worth 1,000 words so here:

Divide the result by 2 and be very careful about the way the game rounds.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 09-03-15 at 03:42 AM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote