Thread: Windows 7?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-10, 05:06 AM   #50
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

I can confirm that I have experienced no difficulties with installing SH3 on a brand-new computer with Windows-7 (64 bit).

I started by buying one of the cheap new CD editions of SH3 which lacks Starforce, and is pre-patched with 1.4b. It cost only £3 from Amazon UK (+ extra for shipping).

Run the set-up program on the CD. Then change the default installation path:
from C:\program files\ubisoft\silent hunter iii\
to C:\ubisoft\silent hunter iii\

Avoid registering for 'Game Shadow', and exit afterwards from the default setup program with 'Finish' - do NOT attempt to run the program.

Now go to Uncle Neal's sticky at the head of this forum to download the authorised patches which make the program run without need for the CD, and install them as described.

The game now runs without difficulty (test at this stage, before loading any mods).

I can confirm that the NYGM mod runs perfectly, after subsequent installation with JSGME.

One issue with SH3, as others have observed, is that of screen size. The program always defaults to 1024x768.
My new monitor, like so many today, is 20-inch with default resolution 1600x900.
If you run SH3 as supplied, you get really a rather good, slightly stretched, full-screen display. I like it, although the dials are shaped more like oranges/apples than circles.
If you change the computer display screen resolution first to 1024x768, you get much the same result.
In either case, use the monitor's 'auto-size' (or auto-fit) button to get all the display on screen, to prevent it trying to overflow to the left and right. (Or adjust the screen manually, with the monitor's own control.)

Rubini's 'wide-screen' mod caused an instant crash when installed with JSGME. There have been previous reports that it functions only with Nvidia cards/drivers; my new computer has an ATI-Radeon card.

Other issues, I hope of general interest for those considering Window-7 (64-bit):
I found that older software (five years or more) tends not to function. A particular problem is that often the set-up software itself is the problem, and you can salvage some old programs working on an XP computer simply by moving their folders into the equivalent position in Windows-7. However, this assumes all drivers and data needed are in the original single folder, which is not always the case.
Older hardware can also be a problem. Microsoft's own web-site has an excellent series of web-pages showing hardware (old and new) which is certified to run with Windows 7 32-bit and with 64-bit.
Another problem with modern computers, unrelated to Windows-7: They all seem to have USB slots for your mouse. If you want to use a trackball, you seem to need a PS/2 slot. I found that a PS/2-USB adaptor, with manufacturer's latest driver software, failed to register my Logitech trackball with the computer. Others have reported similar difficulties.

Stiebler.

[Isn't it about time that one of these WIN-7 threads was stickied, to go alongside the similar thread for Vista?]
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote