SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   share your online/DRM experience (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162670)

bert8for3 03-02-10 03:14 PM

Likewise a non-issue in terms of pc/game performance

punisher2010 03-02-10 10:17 PM

Since Ubisoft can't/won't say what the effects of the dRM are on each game, can someone post what happens if you do lose your connection?

Can you try it in the middle of a tour with no save?
In the middle with a save right before you disconnect?
How long the disconnect needs to be before the DRM kicks in?

Thanks.

jwilliams 03-02-10 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punisher2010 (Post 1289330)
Since Ubisoft can't/won't say what the effects of the dRM are on each game, can someone post what happens if you do lose your connection?

Can you try it in the middle of a tour with no save?
In the middle with a save right before you disconnect?
How long the disconnect needs to be before the DRM kicks in?

Thanks.

If you lose connection the game pauses after a little while.

If you lose connection you can not save the game.

Save is 1st saved on your harddrive so if connection drops while its uploading your save, then it will finish uploading that save next time you start game. (cloud saves can be turn off)

I guess OSP talks to server every 10 mins, so anywhere between 1sec and 10mins depending on how long since it last talk to ubi servers

mookiemookie 03-03-10 12:04 AM

Absolute non-issue for me. No lag, no problems with the online sync of savegames. No dropped connections (though I have a very steady net connection as it is).

Jail 03-03-10 04:11 AM

Come on devs it can't be that hard to make the game do an autosave when connection is lost and pauses the game. When your connection is establish and you start up the game again it should resync with the server. If they put the DRM codes in the game this is what I'll expect the game to do. Maybe it is my common sense that is wrong.

Agustus 03-03-10 12:59 PM

Zero problems here. Completely unnoticeable during gameplay.

Highbury 03-03-10 03:01 PM

No problems here. I even re-installed to change the language, told it not to keep my saves etc on my PC and after I re-installed my saves and options were all intact.

Obviously some people are going to have problems, and I may be in the lucky low percentage, but if you do have a stable connection (not fast, stable) it should cause you no issues.

pontius 03-03-10 05:03 PM

After installation the update worked well, but the gamelauncher refuses to connect to the masterserver - no play here

pontius

Hackerspy 03-03-10 05:06 PM

As we see there are not any problem with drm, for which many people have been arguing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nordmann 03-03-10 05:24 PM

I hardly think four pages constitutes everyone who purchased the game.

Ducimus 03-03-10 06:43 PM

Since this is the only DRM thread left open, i just wanted to point out that history as it pertains to starforce's effectiveness and subsim policy, has officially repeated itself today.

DJSatane 03-03-10 06:50 PM

If you are online then you shouldnt have problems as long as ubi servers are up, however one cannot play the game legally when they travel/are offline etc this is where this drm really hurts.

Of course, yes this drm already been tackled even the patch...

ERPP8 03-03-10 07:04 PM

No problems at all:D
I tried the unplug test and it said to reconnect.
It autochecks every few minutes:D

thruster 03-03-10 07:25 PM

"If you are online then you shouldnt have problems as long as ubi servers are up, however one cannot play the game legally when they travel/are offline etc this is where this drm really hurts."

Im very glad that those with a stable home base and blessed with good internet are happy. honestly i am. i really want SH5 to be a great success cos i have worried about the genre survival.

however i feel that DJSatane has summed it up for me with his comment above. i travel heaps for work. internet is either non-existent or utterly 3rd world ****e. because i cannot play solo off line this policy effectively excludes me from playing this awesome game.

whilst i accept that i am obviously in the minority it doesnt make it less frustrating. for everyone else; unlike your 'Amex travellers cheques', you may as well leave home without it.

Onkel Neal 03-03-10 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus (Post 1291216)
Since this is the only DRM thread left open, i just wanted to point out that history as it pertains to starforce's effectiveness and subsim policy, has officially repeated itself today.

Yes it has.