SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Guide: How to Complete a Mission. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111509)

Beery 04-11-07 10:56 AM

Guide: How to Complete a Mission.

Since many people (including myself) have been having problems completing missions I figured I'd post a guide.

Guard.
You're required to go to the objective location and pick up pilots who parachute into the sea. You get 250 renown points if you pick up 5 pilots.

Insertion Commando.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a team of six commandos. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius and bring the boat to a stop (or go very slowly) in order to be able to launch the commandos' dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Insertion Spy.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a spy. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius and bring the boat to a stop (or go very slowly) in order to be able to launch the spy's dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Insertion Supplies.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a dinghy containing two sailors and supplies. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius and bring the boat to a stop (or go very slowly) in order to be able to launch the dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Patrol.
This mission requires only that you stay within 100 nautical miles of the objective for 48 hours. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Photo.
You must travel to within 8 nautical miles of the objective then, while submerged, lock an enemy vessel in your periscope and press the menu bar button to take a photo. You may need a number of photos to complete the mission. You usually get 300 renown points for this mission.

Sink.
Here you must travel to within 100 nautical miles of the objective. Once on station a second objective will appear telling you to sink enemy shipping. You are free to go anywhere to sink ships. You get 100 renown points for arriving on station and a further 250 points if you sink 10,000 tons or more.

I'll update the guide as I get more information. Please post if you have more info.

SteamWake 04-11-07 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beery
Insertion Spy.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a spy. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius in order to be able to launch the spy's dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Very nice job and much needed thanks Beer.

In reference to the quote I belive you also have to bring the boat to a stop.

Beery 04-11-07 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake
In reference to the quote I belive you also have to bring the boat to a stop.

Thanks for the input. :up: I've updated it.

peewee 04-11-07 11:18 AM

Also, don't try launching the dinghy in rough weather it will capsize and the mission will fail. ( I spent 4 nights of the coast of Luzon waiting for calm weather).

Beery 04-11-07 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peewee
Also, don't try launching the dinghy in rough weather it will capsize and the mission will fail. ( I spent 4 nights of the coast of Luzon waiting for calm weather).

Hmm. I've launched a dinghy in a storm - it capsized and the occupants rowed upside down to the objective and back out to sea again. I got a successful mission. I'm pretty sure that once the dinghy hits the water the mission is complete.

Bilge_Rat 04-11-07 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beery

Patrol.

This mission requires only that you stay within 100 nautical miles of the objective for 48 hours. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Is that confirmed the 100 miles?

If so, I have a ship to intercept...

:arrgh!:

Linavitch 04-11-07 11:43 AM

I read in the first few days after release it was 100km or 55nm. May have been speculation.

I just 'asked Jeeves' 55nm is 101 km. I know you're a modder Beery, did you get your info from the game files?

Excellent guide BTW.

Beery 04-11-07 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linavitch
I read in the first few days after release it was 100km or 55nm. May have been speculation.

I just 'asked Jeeves' 55nm is 101 km. I know you're a modder Beery, did you get your info from the game files?

Excellent guide BTW.

I got the info from the game files: it just says radius = 100 and time = 2880 minutes (48 hours), then I tested it by recording the time I entered a circle with a radius of 100 nautical miles around the objective. Sure enough, exactly 48 hours after I entered that circle the mission completed. I only tested it once though, so in order to be definitive it needs to be confirmed by another player.

Note that the radius doesn't have to be 100 - it can be anything, so it's possible that some objectives might be more or less than 100nm. The only ones I've seen so far have been 100 though.

Linavitch 04-11-07 11:51 AM

Excellent. I guess I can draw a bigger circle on the map then.:rock:

Many thanks.:up:

swash 04-11-07 12:03 PM

Excellent guide. Thanks for the info:up:

NefariousKoel 04-11-07 12:47 PM

It might be a good idea making this a sticky since the mission details seems to be a popular question around here.:up:

I would also like to know if someone only running between 60 and 100nm the whole time will get a completion.

Sagan 04-11-07 01:02 PM

I keep getting the same mission over and over again in carreer mode and I always check to see that my objectives are 100% complete. This is bugging me anyone had this?

Gildor 04-11-07 01:52 PM

There are only a certain number of different missions.

Nothing is forcing you to even do a mission. The renown is just a bonus. You could just ignore it and go patrolling wherever you wish.

Skweetis 04-11-07 03:26 PM

Hey beery,

Can I borrow from this for the manual Im working on? SOme great stuff here!

THanks

Beery 04-11-07 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagan
I keep getting the same mission over and over again in carreer mode and I always check to see that my objectives are 100% complete. This is bugging me anyone had this?

If you're getting the same mission over and over that's usually a sign that there's something wrong with your campaign files. Have you installed any mods or adjusted the campaigns at all? If not I'd say some sort of corrupt file has found its way into your game.