SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-07, 10:56 AM   #1
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Guide: How to Complete a Mission.

Since many people (including myself) have been having problems completing missions I figured I'd post a guide.

Guard.
You're required to go to the objective location and pick up pilots who parachute into the sea. You get 250 renown points if you pick up 5 pilots.

Insertion Commando.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a team of six commandos. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius and bring the boat to a stop (or go very slowly) in order to be able to launch the commandos' dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Insertion Spy.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a spy. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius and bring the boat to a stop (or go very slowly) in order to be able to launch the spy's dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Insertion Supplies.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a dinghy containing two sailors and supplies. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius and bring the boat to a stop (or go very slowly) in order to be able to launch the dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Patrol.
This mission requires only that you stay within 100 nautical miles of the objective for 48 hours. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Photo.
You must travel to within 8 nautical miles of the objective then, while submerged, lock an enemy vessel in your periscope and press the menu bar button to take a photo. You may need a number of photos to complete the mission. You usually get 300 renown points for this mission.

Sink.
Here you must travel to within 100 nautical miles of the objective. Once on station a second objective will appear telling you to sink enemy shipping. You are free to go anywhere to sink ships. You get 100 renown points for arriving on station and a further 250 points if you sink 10,000 tons or more.

I'll update the guide as I get more information. Please post if you have more info.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.

Last edited by Beery; 05-11-07 at 05:12 AM.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:02 AM   #2
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
Insertion Spy.
You have to go to the objective location and drop off a spy. The radius of this mission is usually 3 nautical miles. You have to surface the boat once within this radius in order to be able to launch the spy's dinghy. Once the dinghy is launched the objective is completed. The option to launch the dinghy will not appear unless you surface, so you can either enter the area submerged or do a quick dive and resurface once at the objective. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.
Very nice job and much needed thanks Beer.

In reference to the quote I belive you also have to bring the boat to a stop.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:05 AM   #3
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
In reference to the quote I belive you also have to bring the boat to a stop.
Thanks for the input. I've updated it.

- Missen.
Old 04-11-07, 11:18 AM   #4
peewee
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 32

Also, don't try launching the dinghy in rough weather it will capsize and the mission will fail. ( I spent 4 nights of the coast of Luzon waiting for calm weather).
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:25 AM   #5
Beery
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee
Also, don't try launching the dinghy in rough weather it will capsize and the mission will fail. ( I spent 4 nights of the coast of Luzon waiting for calm weather).
Hmm. I've launched a dinghy in a storm - it capsized and the occupants rowed upside down to the objective and back out to sea again. I got a successful mission. I'm pretty sure that once the dinghy hits the water the mission is complete.

- Missen.
Old 04-11-07, 11:39 AM   #6
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery

Patrol.

This mission requires only that you stay within 100 nautical miles of the objective for 48 hours. You usually get 200 renown points for completing this mission.

Is that confirmed the 100 miles?

If so, I have a ship to intercept...

Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:43 AM   #7
Linavitch
Officer

Downloads: 170

I read in the first few days after release it was 100km or 55nm. May have been speculation.

I just 'asked Jeeves' 55nm is 101 km. I know you're a modder Beery, did you get your info from the game files?

Excellent guide BTW.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=108090746
Linavitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:49 AM   #8
Beery
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linavitch
I read in the first few days after release it was 100km or 55nm. May have been speculation.

I just 'asked Jeeves' 55nm is 101 km. I know you're a modder Beery, did you get your info from the game files?

Excellent guide BTW.
I got the info from the game files: it just says radius = 100 and time = 2880 minutes (48 hours), then I tested it by recording the time I entered a circle with a radius of 100 nautical miles around the objective. Sure enough, exactly 48 hours after I entered that circle the mission completed. I only tested it once though, so in order to be definitive it needs to be confirmed by another player.

Note that the radius doesn't have to be 100 - it can be anything, so it's possible that some objectives might be more or less than 100nm. The only ones I've seen so far have been 100 though.

- Missen.
Old 04-11-07, 11:51 AM   #9
Linavitch
Officer

Downloads: 170

Excellent. I guess I can draw a bigger circle on the map then.

Many thanks.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=108090746
Linavitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 12:03 PM   #10
swash
Sailor man

Excellent guide. Thanks for the info
swash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 12:47 PM   #11
NefariousKoel
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

It might be a good idea making this a sticky since the mission details seems to be a popular question around here.

I would also like to know if someone only running between 60 and 100nm the whole time will get a completion.
Old 04-11-07, 01:02 PM   #12
Sagan
Sailor man

I keep getting the same mission over and over again in carreer mode and I always check to see that my objectives are 100% complete. This is bugging me anyone had this?
Sagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 01:52 PM   #13
Gildor
Lieutenant

There are only a certain number of different missions.

Nothing is forcing you to even do a mission. The renown is just a bonus. You could just ignore it and go patrolling wherever you wish.
Old 04-11-07, 03:26 PM   #14
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Downloads: 38

Hey beery,

Can I borrow from this for the manual Im working on? SOme great stuff here!

THanks
Old 04-11-07, 05:34 PM   #15
Beery
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagan
I keep getting the same mission over and over again in carreer mode and I always check to see that my objectives are 100% complete. This is bugging me anyone had this?
If you're getting the same mission over and over that's usually a sign that there's something wrong with your campaign files. Have you installed any mods or adjusted the campaigns at all? If not I'd say some sort of corrupt file has found its way into your game.

- Missen.