SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Narwhal Request and question (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=227088)

Al Lowe 07-28-16 07:27 AM

Narwhal Request and question

First, the request. I know it's not likely to happen, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Would it be possible for decoys to be made to work on the Narwhal? The only reason I ask, they don't currently, yet they are on the older S-boats. And I know they can be made to work on modded boats since the Ohio class has working decoys. Anyway, just asking. :)

Now the question. Why is the Narwhal's crush depth set to 80 meters? All the sources I find put it at 90 meters, or 300 feet.

Thanks,

cdrsubron7 07-28-16 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Lowe (Post 2422087)
First, the request. I know it's not likely to happen, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Would it be possible for decoys to be made to work on the Narwhal? The only reason I ask, they don't currently, yet they are on the older S-boats. And I know they can be made to work on modded boats since the Ohio class has working decoys. Anyway, just asking. :)

Now the question. Why is the Narwhal's crush depth set to 80 meters? All the sources I find put it at 90 meters, or 300 feet.

Thanks,

I'm sure that if you try to go below 300 ft with the Narwahl that you will have no problems. Just don't go to far. I do it all the time with the other sub classes in SH4. :D :up:

Al Lowe 07-30-16 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 (Post 2422162)
I'm sure that if you try to go below 300 ft with the Narwahl that you will have no problems. Just don't go to far. I do it all the time with the other sub classes in SH4. :D :up:

Oh, that's something I've done numerous times. My point is, I should not be getting a warning about exceeding crush depth when I go down to 300 feet. All the sources I've read, online and off say it's test depth was 300 feet. So, you shouldn't get any complaints from the crew until you go below that depth.

propbeanie 07-30-16 12:10 PM

I don't know about the decoy deployments - but, the "test" depth of the subs can be change by mods, if you're running any.

Al Lowe 07-30-16 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2422647)
I don't know about the decoy deployments - but, the "test" depth of the subs can be change by mods, if you're running any.

Yup, I figured that out. Finally. :) The test depth is actually controlled by a cfg file which can be corrected using a text editor.

I just wish I knew how to do something with the decoy launchers.

Rockin Robbins 07-30-16 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Lowe (Post 2422087)

Thanks,

I'll have to give you a definite "I don't know" on that one. Decoys aren't anything I have used, as I can't find a single account of any submarine in the war having used them. Tater proclaimed them totally unhistorical.

So I'll have to look into the files, which I don't have downloaded yet, to find if the decoys are moddable and can be turned back on again. It won't happen right away but keep my feet to the fire and I'll look into it!

Al Lowe 07-31-16 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 2422741)
I'll have to give you a definite "I don't know" on that one. Decoys aren't anything I have used, as I can't find a single account of any submarine in the war having used them. Tater proclaimed them totally unhistorical.

So I'll have to look into the files, which I don't have downloaded yet, to find if the decoys are moddable and can be turned back on again. It won't happen right away but keep my feet to the fire and I'll look into it!

Ok. I do know, whoever created the SSBN Ohio boat for SH4, was able to get decoys to work for that.

I always looked at decoys in the game as equivalent to shooting debris and such out of the tubes to fake being sunk. But, maybe that's not historical either.

EDIT: Just found this post from 2007 regarding US use of decoys: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121619

Thanks.