SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Silent Hunter 5 Tactics & Tips - "How do I?" & FAQ! READ IF YOU ARE STUCK (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162934)

sergei 03-19-10 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreHawk (Post 1323139)
Then also hitting space again had them to hold fire.:yep:

That's useful, I didn't know that :DL

sergei 03-19-10 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elve84 (Post 1323451)
I know this, it also works fine with me. but can't get it to autofire from the bridge.

Has your morale dropped to zero? That would stop the crew manning the deck gun.
See this post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergei (Post 1321711)
That is probably due to the morale bug. After a save and reload the game will reset your morale points to zero.
Manning the deck gun 'costs' you 1 morale point. If the game has zeroed out your morale points they just refuse to do their bloody jobs!
I'm using one of the morale fix mods, that set the cost of essential jobs to zero, so the crew will still do their jobs even if the game has magicked away all your morale points.

Try this.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ghlight=morale
There may be others available

SabreHawk 03-19-10 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergei (Post 1323466)
That's useful, I didn't know that :DL

Yeah I just figured whatever started it, would stop it as well. And I was right. :03:
Again thanks so much for the tip on this to start with, sure made this last attack before returning for resupply a pleasure to conduct. (was on the way back for reload when we stumbled onto this ship).
So now we really are out of ammo with only 10 rounds of AP shells left, probably only enough to take out a fishing boat if that, and I wouldn't do that anyway.
So yeah we are indeed empty, and the crew's heads so big nearly unable to get through a hatchway, well except for Benno who's likely to be walking the plank if he doesnt start obeying orders.:stare:

Decoman 03-19-10 09:54 AM

Tip: If you find it awkward to find the best time for making a screenshots (when usingthe external camera) by pressing Ctrl + F11, you can press 'Back' key to pause, and move the camera around as you please, or just pause to catch the right moment for making a nice screenshot.

Herodotus 03-19-10 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elve84 (Post 1323315)
I can't get the dek gun to work manually. I am surfaced, look to my binoculars. but when i press spacebar i lock a ship for torpedo firing. what am i doing wrong or does the auto fire only work with the Mod installed?

I think you mean you can't get the deck gun to work "automatically", as manually you just have to walk up and click on it.
To get get the gunners to fire, don't click on the binoculars. Just zoom with your mousewheel from the bridge. Look at the target and when the crosshairs are red press spacebar. The gunners will then fire, and will shift target automatically.
Just don't forget to tell the WO to "Man the deck gun" first:up:.

griffin6062 03-19-10 05:35 PM

Ahoy, mates. Newbe here to the site, got a question that may have been answered, I can't seem to find the the key pad that opens the radio or the grammaphone.

any help will be much appreciated. :damn:

SabreHawk 03-19-10 05:38 PM

Actually you dont even have to have the WO man the deck gun prior to locking the target in the binocular view. Last night all I did was get the crosshair on the ship, crosshair turned red and I hit spacebar. The deck gun wasnt manned before I did this, in fact asking the WO to have it manned didn't do a thing even though he yelled out the order. Nobody came.
But when I locked the target in the binocs, that was all it took, they manned it and then began firing on the ship. I gave no order to the WO.
And further, hitting the spacebar again stopped the firing.
After the ship was then destroyed and sinking, I then hit "R" for the surface command and that unmanned the gun, even though this should be accomplished by F5, at least it works. It's bug for sure, but at least now I have a way to get the job done.
So far about the only ting that WO is good for is spotting ships, which so far he actually has done a good job of. He seems to be able to spot smoke on the horizon, where I cant see a thing out there.
And this attack was at night, and quite dark too and in fog.

ThinAir 03-20-10 04:02 AM

Hey,

first Q, can i aim at a certain parts of the boat by using auto tdc? how? for example, let say i want to hit middle, or very front and etc.
also, whats the best depth for the torpedo, or does it depend on the boat i am attacking? Boats do have different length bottoms (ones are deeper in the water, others not).

Thanks a lot.

Tex_100 03-20-10 10:49 AM

Hi, I press spacebar to lock a ship but the periscope will not stay tracking the center of the target as in previous games. Is there something I'm missing or is that just the way it is? Also, after locking a target, how do you know the range, speed etc.? Many thanks...

Scoochy 03-20-10 11:21 AM

In this version, the periscope does not stay centered on the target. You're not doing anything wrong.

Range can be determined by the Stadimeter (although arguably inaccurate at long range) or by using the map tools with "Map Contact Updates ON".

Speed can also be determined by using the Stadimeter, or by using the 3 minute rule by marking the contact on the map and using the distance traveled in 3 minutes to determine the speed. e.g. 400 kilometers in 3 minutes = 4 knots.

There are also mods available that provide other means of getting both speed and range.

Scoochy 03-20-10 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThinAir (Post 1324941)
Hey,

first Q, can i aim at a certain parts of the boat by using auto tdc? how? for example, let say i want to hit middle, or very front and etc.
also, whats the best depth for the torpedo, or does it depend on the boat i am attacking? Boats do have different length bottoms (ones are deeper in the water, others not).

Thanks a lot.

Use your periscope to target certain parts of the ship. If your TDC Calculations are accurate, the bearing your are pointing is the information used for targeting.

Torpedo depth is determined by the depth of their hull. Default usually sets the torpedo depth to just below the waterline, which should be fine. If you are using the magnetic trigger, set your depth 1-2 meters below the keel for magnetic detonation.

Akula 03-20-10 11:45 AM

How to return to course without a mod...

There is actually a way...

just add another way point to your current last waypoint and your sub will resume course again.

Sorry if this was posted already.

Rob The Bastard 03-20-10 02:27 PM

I've already read elsewhere that the hydrophone wheel is controlled with the mouse wheel... but I notice that the adjacent volume control can be highlighted and rotated with the mouse wheel as well.

Decoman 03-20-10 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob The Bastard (Post 1325678)
I've already read elsewhere that the hydrophone wheel is controlled with the mouse wheel... but I notice that the adjacent volume control can be highlighted and rotated with the mouse wheel as well.

One can use the Home & End keys to rotate the listening device, just like using the mouse wheel.

ThinAir 03-21-10 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoochy (Post 1325410)
Use your periscope to target certain parts of the ship. If your TDC Calculations are accurate, the bearing your are pointing is the information used for targeting.

Well, im using "connecting the dots" method, if i match them 100%, then torpedo seems to hit right in the middle of the boat, so i guess if i want to hit in front or back i should not connect dots 100%?

For example, i should probably connect half and half, with my dot being in front/ahead TO HIT THE FRONT, and my dot being half and half behind with boat's dot to hit the back of the boat. Sorry if my explanation is confusing, cant think of other words/explanation at a moment lol

nikulin 03-21-10 05:26 AM

How do I turn saves auto synchronization off? I lost all my saves today after synchronization. New compaign works well. Reinstall didnt help.

sergei 03-21-10 05:55 AM

When the launcher is loading, says logging on, click on the little cog wheel in the top right corner. It will give you the option of turning off online synchronization for save games.
Mind you, you still get the 'synchronizing with server' message at the main load screen, but as far as I can tell, it's not actually doing it.

Since turning this off
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikulin (Post 1326361)
I lost all my saves today after synchronization.

this hasn't happened to me. :DL

EDIT: Here's a pic
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7061/logonz.jpg

IMPORTANT: Once you turn online synchronization off, never ever ever turn it on again. If you do disaster will befall you and all will be lost.

nikulin 03-21-10 12:17 PM

I disabled synch. The game crashes now:) I think, in that moment when the game tries to autosave...

UBoat_Paddy 03-21-10 12:58 PM

Hey ppl,

Don't think this was answered already but correct me if it has.

How do you get the Flak gun crew to target aircraft? The Flak crew man the guns but just stand there as Hurricanes buzz the conning tower.

Help, please!:hmmm:

7thSeal 03-21-10 05:57 PM

Tired of laying out multiple waypoints when plotting a course? Just set one in front of you and then grab that waypoint by left clicking on it with your mouse and hold down on the mouse button.

Now you can drag that waypoint to a different location when you need to change course and your sub will automatically change course to follow it. This makes for easy and quickly nav. through the ports and avoiding ships. Note that the more time compression you use the quicker you need to be moving your waypoint around.

If you have a number of them set and want to change up your plotted course you can do the same by holding any of them with your left mouse button and moving them to where you want them. :)