PDA

View Full Version : Sonobuoy Search

SeaQueen
01-16-06, 09:38 AM
I'm trying to get an AI P-3C to search an area for submarines. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to actually drop any sonobuoys if given the tactic "sonobuoy search." Am I doing something wrong? Should I manually place the sonobuoy field?

LuftWolf
01-16-06, 11:50 AM
In my opinion, the only way to get a good prosecution from an AI platform is to place the buoy field in the mission design.

I believe you can use create object triggers for them so they don't start there from the beginning.

The good news is that the AI is very good using a sonobuoy field that has already been laid. :up:

Miika
01-16-06, 03:28 PM
I might be wrong, but it seems that at least with LwAmimod 3.00 the airborne AI platforms will quite easily cease using the sonobuoy tactic once they have a linked target. For instance in my mission "Into the night" there are three helos (if I remember right) using this tactic. If the Chinese are far away (=no linked targets) they will place the buoys. Once the first linked sub or surface unit appears, the helos will move to intercept the targets.

I agree with Luftwolf that the best way of doing it would be to have the buoys created by a randomly patrolling P-3. (=if P-3 enters the destination goal area, a buoy will be created.) It requires some work, but will be quite easily done with a little copy/paste of goals and buoys.

Miika

HydroShok
01-16-06, 07:08 PM
I've seen AI surface ships launch helos that drop buoys in box like fashion, 4 sonobouys. Not sure if its normal for the AI or if it was "scripted".

i've tried a script to "engage" with VLAD on the p3. Didn't work.

Helicopter is the only AI I've ever seen actually drop a buoy. Not sure how it was done tho.