PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Thrust"

Deathblow
09-17-05, 10:16 AM
When we tweak the "Engine Noise" settings in the Thrust Dialog box (using DWEDIT) does that increase both the Broadband AND the Narrowband signal of the ships or just the Breadband alone.

Was wondering if the broadband and narrowband "sound vs speed" characteristics could be tweaked seperately. I was reading an interesting summary about the Akula (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/971.htm) that reports quieter sound levels than the 688i at low speeds, but lounder sound levels than the 688i at high speeds. Would be interesting to minimick this behavior in-game.

Anyone know?

LuftWolf
09-17-05, 02:40 PM
Deathblow, I'm not sure about the difference in the NB and BB, however, the sound vs. speed curves that Amizaur designed for the Akula II for our mod make it less quiet than a 688i @ 0-4kts and louder above that speed, when it's active quieting measures are much less effective.

I'm not entirely clear on how he did that, but you can look at the thrusts in our database and probably get a good idea of how to go.

Deathblow
09-17-05, 05:04 PM
Thanks LuftWolf. Its sometimes unclear to what all the parameter values are really doing in DWEDIT.

One more question if you have time. Do you know how the "Detection Curves" works for the sensors? Is the first value in the box maximum range? What do the second and third values mean then? and the values of their adjacent boxes?

Amizaur
09-17-05, 05:12 PM
I think in DW there is only one "noise" value, no discrimination for NB and BB so you can't model different BB and NB noise levels. That would be great if it was possible, for example most modern boats would be detectable by broadband when fast, but you would have hard task trying to identify it by discrete frequencies...
In platform noise levels and noise profiles, I tried to implement our knowledge about real-world dependencies, so in our mod the Akula II is quieter than 688I at very low speeds, and more noisy than 688I at high speeds. (and the Seawolf at 20kts have noise level equal to stopped 688 what was claimed :) )

Kapitan
09-18-05, 01:36 AM
well the akula II can go to 8 knots and still be only slightly quieter than a 688i as with all subs step on the gas you make noise same here

Kapitan
09-18-05, 01:39 AM
i got to say that report link you posted is well out of date