PDA

View Full Version : OT: Identify these holes!

timmyg00
08-26-05, 05:06 PM
Anybody know what these holes are on the stern of a Tarantul PTG?

http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/7919/tarantulstern8ov.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TG

LuftWolf
08-26-05, 05:07 PM
Torpedo loading holes?

timmyg00
08-26-05, 05:10 PM
According to my sources, no torpedoes are carried on this class or its variants. Strictly missiles and guns. That's why I am so baffled!

TG

XabbaRus
08-26-05, 05:15 PM
Did you never watch air-wolf.

Then of course you don't know that the Russkies thought if afterburning jets on a chopper were cool then what about sticking them on a ship.

Yep, jet boost for them.

Where did you take that pic? That isn't the one next to the Massachusetts?

timmyg00
08-26-05, 05:47 PM
:lol:

Yes, that is the Hiddensee, berthed next to the USS Massachusetts.

TG

XabbaRus
08-26-05, 06:44 PM
Though I recognised it.

I was there a few years ago.

The BB was amzing to walk around in...like I said almost banged my head a few times.

UglyMowgli
08-26-05, 08:52 PM
this exaust port for the engines, a slow speed there is only one turbine engaged (the outlet is under missiles laucher) but at high speed the 2 big turbine are required and the exhaust gas are evacuated by the 2 large vents a the stern.

indian tarantul
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Images/Tarantul14.jpg

timmyg00
08-27-05, 01:21 AM
That makes some sense... but then what is the purpose of the stacks on the superstructure? There is hot gas coming out of them (you can see from the blur), is that not engine exhaust?

TG

P.S. please post smaller pics, some of us don't have 54-inch plasma display monitors :P

TLAM Strike
08-27-05, 01:28 AM
I was going to say it might have been for deploying mines but I think MSgalileo got it. :roll:

Bellman
08-27-05, 06:37 AM
Surely the 7 insignia adjacent to each 'hole' have some significance ?
I dont think that applies to any exhausting process.

That would indicate a check for loading something dockside - mines ?

Mercedes
08-27-05, 08:45 AM
The aft holes appear to me to be wet exhausts where water is introduced into the system just after the engine to help in cooling the gas and also to aid in muffling. Quite common in high speed diesel boats. We have made a few at work. They work surprisingly well.

Kapitan
08-27-05, 10:38 AM
the aft is wet exhaust and the funnel on deck is normal its a bit like the kirov if you notice except kirov only has uptakes rather than out takes :D

Bellman
08-27-05, 11:12 AM
:lol: :o :oops: :roll: :arrgh!:

I was bang on target then.............................................. ...........again. :lol:

Now will it be asps, hemlock or vodka. ;)

LuftWolf
08-27-05, 02:55 PM
I'm going for the Polish beer right now.

Dollar fifty a pint at the Polish deli! Here in Brooklyn. :up:

Zarlock
08-28-05, 04:09 AM
These are exhaust tubes for the gas turbines.
Quite impressive in that regard was the visit of a Polish Tarantul in Germany some years ago.
Upon going home, they started those gas turbines right after leaving berth - and ignited the wooden (but water soaked) piers in the vicinity with two VERY long flames out of these holes.

The exhaust ports at the top are for the diesel engines, as Tarantuls have CODAG - COmbined Diesel And Gas.

Regards,

Robert

Hartmann
08-29-05, 02:33 PM
I thougt that this holes was for depth charges . :88)

Now it makes sense that it is a exhaust for the turbines. but i donĀ“t understand why the ship have this hatches.

Mercedes
08-29-05, 03:53 PM
The hatchs are there to prevent the evil and fiendish weather from reaching the backs of the turbines when they are shut down. They are also a safety risk too as they are an opening that is close to the water line.