PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought.

SquidB
08-25-05, 06:37 PM
Always willing to throw random uselesness into the collectice pot here's a suggestion....please feel free to blast it from the water.

Recently i strayed across the steel beasts community, on advice from a DW player that I would find it intresting.

Well I do, and heres the reason, these guys who have been playing a sim for the last 5 years tend to take under their wing any noob that tends to show an intrest in what they are upto.

This is best born out by the fact that they have a certain night when anyone new to the sim can play against the old guard and generally get trained up into the way of things.

Now heres my thinking, I know that there are virtual fleets out there, but think that can be intimidating or too full on for someone that has just ventured out into the world of DW.

In order to keep things floating along why dont we adopt a certain time where noobs can log on and be brought up to speed by some of the sea dogs here.

Call it an open night/training session whatever. The more guys we get into this amazing hobby of ours the better right?

Any of your thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Skybird
08-25-05, 06:57 PM
SB? -> :up:

SBP? -> :sunny:

SB forums? -> :yep:

Kapitan
08-25-05, 07:47 PM
yes i agree :up:

timmyg00
08-25-05, 10:18 PM
I agree also. But.... where's the food?? Somebody said food! :hmm:

TG

Bellman
08-25-05, 11:13 PM
Good suggestion SquidB. :up:

Competitive play can be a bit rough !
The scoring=promotion system leads to heavy hitting on the noob by mature sharks. A minority, but ever present.
This is reprehensible and offputting and leads to players walking away. A wasteage this minority interest sim can ill afford.

On the other hand, to be fair and balanced fleets provide structured and developmental training of the highest order.

We need a learners lagoon, free from the pressures of competitiion where new players can interface
with the experienced and learn informaly in play and chat. Then they may opt for Fleet play armed with basic skills.

SquidB
08-26-05, 06:52 AM
Well i think that it might be a good idea to set a time and day of the week where people can turn up, play a few friendlies and maybe get some adivce from some of the more well worn players.

Team speak would be an advantage when it comes to training dives, and just to chew the fat.

So any ideas as to when ?

OneShot
08-27-05, 06:59 AM
Unfortunatly I cant jump onto this now, but once I'm back home for good (mid-end sept.) I'll be happy to set a night or two up for playing. So basically I'm in.

Bellman
08-27-05, 07:09 AM
:) Me too - when I get my router sorted so I can MP. :up:

SquidB
08-27-05, 07:15 AM
ok sounds good, no need to rush into this, Its going to have to be based on time zones, when people can be free etc.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome :up:

Bellman
08-27-05, 07:24 AM
Well I guess a lot of people are still on holiday, or their heads are, so it may be one to let simmer for the moment.

Why not let it slide down the chart until mid to late September then raise it again by resurecting this thread.

I'm sure it will snowball then. :yep: :up:

SquidB
08-27-05, 10:33 AM
Yeh thats cool with me, Gives more time to think it over as well.

Not to mention we may even be nearer getting the patct :hmm: :sunny:

Kapitan
08-27-05, 10:35 AM
training section for the noobs is very good idea :hmm:

OneShot
10-02-05, 04:43 PM
Well, I'm back home now and more readily available. Even tho I'm kinda addicted to BF:2 lately (which surely wont improve with the release of the Patch and the AddOn) I'm available for anybody who wants to train/play some. I focus mainly on the Orion and the Helo so that would be the primary thing for me to play and/or assist in learning.

I'm in Germany and therefore on GMT+1 or ALPHA time (due to Daylight Saving at the moment GMT+2). If you are interested in learning some things feel free to buzz me by means of IM/PM.

Before training I ask of only a few things :
- Read the manual that comes with DW, especially about the plattform you are interested in.
- If you wanna do the Orion/Helo, take the time and read the P-3C OWTOP (available on SubGuru/OrionWarrior)
- Have Teamspeak or Ventrillo installed (that way its easier to explain stuff)

If you follow all of that, I'm sure we will both have a lot of fun and hopefully at least one of us comes out with a bit more knowledge and practice then before :hmm: