View Full Version : Opinions on Harpoon 3

mike_espo
08-19-05, 08:03 AM
I have to admit, I have strayed from DW.....awaiting the patch :yep:

What do you guys think of H3?

thanks

Skybird
08-19-05, 08:14 AM
Tasty, but very instabile. Gave up on it some weeks after I bought it some years ago. Really missing something like that. I even played Harpoon 1 on the Amiga (which was not stabile, but not as unstable as H3 for PC).

Bellman
08-19-05, 09:33 AM
:) Never had any stability problems with the original Amiga Harpoon, nor with PC Classic Gold or Harpoon 3
both of which are still on my harddrive.

When I hung up my boots with flight sims I spent a lot of time with Harpoon. Its a great strategic naval game
which has been continuously improved and is beeing currently marketed to the military as Harpoon Pro.

H3 community have produced loads of missions and the databases have been constantly updated.
The revised aircraft turn-round times are now more realistic so air warfare does not dominate so decisively.

It is not quite as lean as Fleet Command (Harpoon Lite ?) and can be slow and turgid. If you risk injudicous
time acceleration you can get caught and this is the prime criticism of the multiplayer game which is cutrrently in beta.

Speaking personaly I missed the adrenalin buzz of flight sims so moved to SC - never to look back.
MP was great - and will be when I sort out my new router.

Harpoons payoff to the gamer is in the planniing and coordination of disparate units to achieve distant goals
- SC/DW gives you all that plus the thrill of mastering the technical and tactical operational challenge -
you're in the hot seat/s - quite simply mind blowing. ;) :cool:

mike_espo
08-19-05, 12:41 PM
I agree Bellman. But DW needs some work: the Kilo sonar model for one...also subs cannot be detected at Periscope depth..even if sail is out of the water....lookouts can't even see it......Shoulder fired SAMs are waaaaaay too accurate. Autocrew TMA is too easy.

I too have hung my boots up over flight sims....I miss the rush also.

Eagerly awaiting patch.... :up:

SeaQueen
08-21-05, 08:25 AM
I have to admit, I have strayed from DW.....awaiting the patch :yep:

What do you guys think of H3?

thanks

I love it. I think you can learn an awful lot about Naval warfare from the combination of both H3 and DW.

SquidB
08-21-05, 03:24 PM
I also got into Harpoon whilst awaiting the patch. I used to have Harpoon 1 and must say that i like Harpoon 3. The main problem is the sub ops....just doesnt have the depth of DWs which is understandable given its scope.

Good for replaying those vast cold war scenarios and the wealth of units in the database is amazing.

All in all a good sim/wargame that will be even better once it has a MP option.

however im still of the view that the best naval sim out there is yours truely.....

mike_espo
08-21-05, 07:36 PM
Agreed SquidB. I love the variety in H3..plus the thought of using Nukes is awesome! :arrgh!:

SquidB
08-22-05, 03:21 PM
Yeh the nuke option is good ( and despite what people say sadly lacking from DW)

The thing is every time i play harpoon, it makes me want to play dw lol.

So in a way thats not a bad thing :lol:

Bellman
08-22-05, 09:38 PM
:lol:
The thing is every time i play harpoon, it makes me want to play dw lol.
Right - it makes you hungry for action. :up:

SquidB
08-23-05, 11:59 AM
Not so much action, more depth.

Harpoon as a military sim that covers every type of platform currently in use (if you have the latest database) obviously can goto the depths (no pun) of a sim like dw.

In harpoon you play the role of the overall commander of whatever force you have at your disposal.

DW your the captain of what evers your platform of choice. And I must say that i prefer the intamcy of commanding my on boat rather than ordering others about.