PDA

View Full Version : TMA Autocrew not as good as in SC?

Captain Nemo
08-19-05, 04:30 AM
Do others agree that the TMA autocrew in DW are not as good as they were in Sub Command? For example, I was playing a quick mission in the GIUK driving a Kilo when I got a contact on an Ohio Class SSBN. After monitoring it for a little while I fired off a torp in its direction. The contact on the nav map stayed on its course as though it hadn't detected an approaching torp. Anyway, I followed my torp in 3D and hoped it would finish the Ohio off. No such luck, the torp exploded on contact with CM's (I must admit I like this feature in DW). In the meantime the contact on the nav map is still moving in the same direction and speed as though nothing untoward is going on. To cut a long story short, I eventually sunk the Ohio miles away from where TMA said it was. In the replay with show truth on, the Ohio had run from my first torp. Now in SC, the TMA autocrew would have updated its solution (perhaps not immediatly) based on the fact that the target had completely changed direction and speed. The TMA autocrew in DW don't appear to be on the ball like they are in SC.

What do others think?

Nemo

Bellman
08-19-05, 04:38 AM
:) Two problems :-

1. Auto TMA is too good in DW.
2. Torps exploding on CMs is held by most players to be unrealistic in DW

Both are downers from SC/SCX.

Captain Nemo
08-19-05, 04:55 AM
:) Two problems :-

1. Auto TMA is too good in DW.
2. Torps exploding on CMs is held by most players to be unrealistic in DW

Both are downers from SC/SCX.

1. Strange, I find the opposite to be true. Maybe the Russian TMA autocrew are not as good as their American counterparts :lol: Not been playing DW for too long so maybe my views on this will change.

2. I must admit I like this feature. I always found, especially when driving an American sub, in SC/SCX that it was pretty much a dead certainty that your MK48 would find its target no matter how many CM's the target launched. Whether or not it's realistic I can't comment.

Nemo

mike_espo
08-19-05, 08:57 AM
I agreee. The TMA auto is too good. The solutions never miss. After about one minute, I know:bearing, range. In reality, it would take many minutes, or hours to get an accurate solution on a subsurface target. :know:

Captain Nemo
08-19-05, 09:53 AM
I agreee. The TMA auto is too good. The solutions never miss. After about one minute, I know:bearing, range. In reality, it would take many minutes, or hours to get an accurate solution on a subsurface target. :know:

OK, my TMA man must have been having a bad day then! However, with regard to the time it takes to establish a good solution, I think we need to remember that this is a sim that must take account of peoples attention spans. If it were based more on reality and it did take hours to get an accurate solution, some players would get bored and possibly lose interest. I probably wouldn't though as I am a hardcore sub man.

Nemo

mike_espo
08-21-05, 07:56 PM
Im with you Nemo. I strive for realism over gameplay anytime. When patch comes out, maybe Ill try doing TMA on my own....

JoGary(sco)
08-23-05, 02:39 PM
TMA in DW is way better than the TMA auto crew in SC. What prob happened to you is that you lost contaxt with the enemy sub. It happens alot when there is lots of CM and torps in water to cover its noise. This way the TMA crew had nothing to updade its pos with so left it going in the direction it was.

XabbaRus
08-23-05, 05:33 PM
In that respect TMA autocrew is way better than in SC where they would continue to track a contact regardless of moves.

In DW targets can be lost and and need reaquiring.

Pretty cool IMO.

Captain Nemo
08-24-05, 04:04 AM
In that respect TMA autocrew is way better than in SC where they would continue to track a contact regardless of moves.

In DW targets can be lost and and need reaquiring.

Pretty cool IMO.

I found out where I was going wrong with TMA in the Kilo, I am so used to driving the LA class boats. Anyway, you are right with regard to targets being lost and the need to reaquire being more realistic.

Nemo