PDA

View Full Version : SHIII lot harder than SHII !

Malc
08-06-05, 06:49 PM
Firts of all I don't really get a great deal of time to play "games" on my PC, but having purchased SHII in March found it's game play just right for my limited gaming experience, ie fire a torpedo and it did itd job.

However I've just upgraded to SHIII - what a difference, and more challanging it is. I kept having torps bounce off ships, not explode, and by the time I finally reload and get it sunk all the others ships have gone off the map ! I've sinces read the thread below and note its the type of torp and the angle that can cause this ! - steep learning curve !

I have a few questions though :

1) In SHII the external view tracked the sub. In SHIII this feature seems to of vanished (tried the "." and "," and that didn't seem to do much apart jump the camera to a new position closer to the sub)

2) in the external (freeview) veiw I seem to get an area that looks like a black pyrimid on the screen that flickers on and off occasionaly. Is this a bug in the game, directX or windows ? I'm running a 128mb Radion 9250 SE card if that helps, and DirecX 9.0c

Thanks

witchking
08-07-05, 12:26 AM
for your first issue, u need to install the latest 1.4b patch amd then u can track the u-boat with the f12 camera by using some key.

second issue, its probably ur 9500, I have a 9800 pro and many others here also never faced such of a problem...I guess its a driver problem ...try installing some of the older drivers. ATI has a bad habit of giving up on its old customers by not caring to check if the newer drivers would cause corruptions for old cards. eg: I am still using cat 5.6...Cat 5.7 starts all kinds of graphic corruptions in lock on: flaming cliffs, T-72 balkans on Fire, SH3 >> water flickering etc..

Malc
08-07-05, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. After posting I checked the official web site and found the patch - installed and now the camera tracks the sub no problems

The graphics card is new (less than 6 months old) - however I'll check ATI's web site to see if there is a newer version.

RevRaz
08-07-05, 02:13 PM
You can turn off dud's in the realism settings.

Malc
08-07-05, 02:14 PM
Ahhhaaa - thanks :)

Ula Jolly
08-07-05, 02:32 PM
:stare:
I wish I had the (lack of morale)/guts to turn off duds! THEY ARE SO ANNOYING! :cry:

Egan
08-07-05, 02:36 PM
:stare:
I wish I had the (lack of morale)/guts to turn off duds! THEY ARE SO ANNOYING! :cry:

In my experience There aren't enough of them. Impact warheads seem to work flawlessly for me from the start of the war.

Mind you, I am a damn good shot.. ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl:

CCIP
08-07-05, 02:59 PM
Yep. Exactly the same with me. I find that the torpedo performance is definitely way better than historically. There's no random failures and no depth keeper errors. 100% of the shots I take at proper angles detonate. My torpedo success rate over many, many patrols is about 80%. 15% are misses, and 5% are duds - most due to being too close, or due to firing at targets with unusual hull curvature. (like tugs, etc.)

Ula Jolly
08-07-05, 03:03 PM
You guys are way too lucky to be considered part of the statistics. :stare: I fire off tens of G7as and G7es on impact on good angles, and a very notable portion of those are duds (from 1 to 2 out of 10, if not more)

Nopileo
08-07-05, 04:29 PM
I fired a salvo of 4 against a fast moving cruiser once. I couldn't get into a decent firing position, so I set them to magnetic detonation. 3 of them detonated prematurely and the last one was a dud... :damn: