PDA

View Full Version : Did I just get lucky ?

Bellman
07-20-05, 12:41 PM
Been giving my new baby the Ak a run around this week and thought I would stretch myself
a little by running 'Sink the Nimitz' ( 4* No truth)

Rather surprised (genuinely) that I despatched the Nimitz easily - having calculated the groups course ,
which I refined with active intercept. Ran in below layer initialy at speed and lurked. came up behind Perry,
just short of 7 nm from Nimitz and to her NW with the Tic. about 9 nm my SSE.

Range closing fast so settled for a torp attack with 2 -53s and 2- 5s.
All found and she dived beautifully with 100% damage.
Exited SW. ;)

Surprisingly I was not counter-attacked at any point and so I wonder whether all was ok with the scenario.
I suspect that it was just my lucky day ?
Would welcome others experiences. :hmm:

Ula Jolly
07-20-05, 02:06 PM
I made a quick dash for the coordinates that I either misread, or weren't precise enough. After not too long, the suspicioun started to hit me, and I had to slow down. If only I had been better at calculating the range! Well... my attempt was real chaos, and I only ended up with sinking a Tico, damaging another and causing a tiny tad of damage to the Nimitz. Stupid me lined up my torpedoes along the route of the Nimitz, not even THINKING she would evade! :doh:

Bellman
07-21-05, 03:54 PM
:lol: Well I was inundated with responses there - I guess I will have the drag of replaying this scenario
a couple of times more to see if the "Blues' do try to take out my Ak. :down:

I know I struck lucky but I am puzzled why the Perry did'nt attack me. :hmm:

Kapitan
07-21-05, 04:05 PM
if you were under the perry then it be suicidal to attack cause it would send the perry to the bottom as well

bit like dropping a deapth charge at all stop and sitting there :dead:

Bellman
07-23-05, 12:20 AM
:) Mein Kapitain, I was not 'under' the Perry, but 2 to 3 nm behind her.

Futhermore I was not attacked as I escaped, with all other ships fully operational.

This raises questions about the scenario design which I can only attempt to answer when time permits further repeat dives. ;)

Bellman
07-23-05, 11:14 PM
Repeat dive 1 -

Same outcome - turned 'Truth' on after sinking the Nimitz and there was no counter-attack. :down:

Kapitan
07-24-05, 01:24 AM
try to get under a ship but the perry would only have seen you if it had a towed array but who knows the rear of a ship is generaly its blind spot

TLAM Strike
07-24-05, 01:46 AM
try to get under a ship but the perry would only have seen you if it had a towed array but who knows the rear of a ship is generaly its blind spot

If you where between the TA's Hydrophones and the towing ship you could be masked even with a long array like the SQR-19... in theory. ;)