PDA

View Full Version : Wire breaking

XabbaRus
07-19-05, 03:55 PM
Is wire break modelled?

I have a feeling it might be as I was in a mission when I fire an ADCAP on a target quite far away...pretty soon afterwards I turned sharply after accelerating 15 knots and on a course that was 180 degrees from the course the torp was running on.

Anyway I didn't notice the lost the wire message and only foudnd it when I need to enable the torp.

If I have stumbled on something seen before apologies.

SquidB
07-19-05, 06:26 PM
Maybe I imagined this, but compared to sc the towed arrays seem to be more resiliant to high speeds.

Im sure they used to break more easily....or did i dream it?

Pigfish
07-19-05, 06:37 PM
They are definetly tougher then SC.

Check out appendix C in the DW manual, both pages C1 and C2.

XabbaRus
07-19-05, 06:39 PM
I'm not talking about the TA but the control wire to the ADCAP.

Pigfish
07-19-05, 07:04 PM
I'm not talking about the TA but the control wire to the ADCAP.

:oops: Well it was in SC so looks like in DW too...

Ultraboy
07-19-05, 09:08 PM
Really...?

I've never had the ADCAP guide-wire break in SC, and it definitely should have a couple of times.

Bellman
07-19-05, 09:55 PM
Cant recall ever losing the wire on a UUV, in spite of the so called manouvering constraints.

MaHuJa
07-21-05, 12:10 PM
The only causes of torpedo wires breaking, in both SC and DW, (that I can remember, at least) have been the torpedo ceasing to exist - detonating, running into the bottom and shutting down, max range and shutting down - as well as shutting the tube, of course...

Bill Nichols
07-21-05, 12:13 PM
I've never had the ADCAP guide-wire break in SC, and it definitely should have a couple of times.

Ditto. :-?

Ula Jolly
07-21-05, 02:49 PM
Hmm... try running a Seawolf at forty knots, fire a 45 knotter, turn hard 180 and watch. Will that do some damage?

Pigfish
07-21-05, 03:50 PM
Really...?

I stand corrected. Thought it was all wires.

Tried breaking a torps wire with DW and couldnt break one. :-?

Ultraboy
07-21-05, 11:23 PM
I guess I've never specifically TRIED to break it... but I know there's a couple of times I fired rather frantically before, for lack of a better term, freaking out and maneuvering quite erratically to avoid being killed.

Then, after I was dead, I would realize that the guide-wire seemed un-realistically strong. ;)