PDA

View Full Version : Is Norwegian merchant traffic wrong???

Wulfmann
07-07-05, 11:22 AM
But, the traffic in SH3 is commercial traffic moving along the Norwegian coast and even into German occupied ports. Some how I think that trade was stopped by the, I don't know, WAR!!! LOL
The traffic along the coast was german traffic fater the fall of Norway. While I switched most to german in my RND.mis file, I left a few to be considered resistance ships meaning I have to carefully check them out and not open up without being very cautious.
If there was British traffic in the Baltic or German traffic in St Georges Vhannel it would be no different than this is, IMO
Nice info on your experiences.
Wulfmann

Jace11
07-07-05, 12:32 PM
Good find. I put all the traffic from September 1940 under a German flag till the end of the war.

I have many Norwegian ships in my convoys in the RND layer so changing these to axis or neutral wasnt an alternative.

Shadow9216
07-07-05, 12:48 PM
What effect, if any, would this have on friendly air attacks? If I see a Norwegian ship heading for Bergen in '43, and report it, I have a reasonable chance of it being sunk by the Luftwaffe, correct? Does changing the flag change the AI? Or does the AI still "read" it as a Norwegian, although it's flying a German flag?

Jace11
07-07-05, 01:24 PM
When I said putting "them under German flag" I mean't just changing their nationality to German. Done in the editor. German planes will not bomb German ships so no prob.

Shadow9216
07-07-05, 02:15 PM
Ah, I see! You meant it in the proper maritime parlance of "registry of a vessel within a specific country" vice the computer terminology of "I added a BB to Mexico in the roster" :P

Wulfmann
07-07-05, 02:56 PM
I was referring to the traffic along the Norwegian coast. I also have put Norwegian ships in the convoys. But, I did leave a few around Norway so I would have to be a custom inspector while passing through.
I was thinking of changing a few to German 4 or 6 to see some ships that really might operate there. Might even catch them intercepting some allied ships.
Wulfmann

Seaboy
07-07-05, 11:49 PM
likely the Germans in those Nordic harbors are part of a blackmarket and on the take.

Shigawire
07-08-05, 08:09 AM
What happens to Norwegian shipping traffic in SH3 should affect the game to a very strong degree.

It is worth of note that at the outbreak of the war, Norway had the fourth largest merchant fleet in the world - after the UK, USA and Japan.

I don't know if this is reflected in SH3 at all?

Wulfmann
07-08-05, 01:04 PM
I did not know that, I would have thought Greece would be number four and actually counting all the Greek ships registered in other places to avoid taxes I believe they were. But, we might consider those tax shelter nations as add ons for fun particularly if we can still hear bazouki music and smell the Ouzo from them, LOL
However, bringing that to light I will add more Norwegian ships to my convoys in the RND files.

Wulfmann

jasonb885
07-08-05, 02:10 PM
What happens to Norwegian shipping traffic in SH3 should affect the game to a very strong degree.

It is worth of note that at the outbreak of the war, Norway had the fourth largest merchant fleet in the world - after the UK, USA and Japan.

I don't know if this is reflected in SH3 at all?

You'll find many Norwegian ships in ImprovedConvoys!

:up:

Shigawire
07-09-05, 04:06 AM
Yes, today the "largest merchant fleet" list is:

#1 China
#2 Russia
#3 Greece
#4 Norway
#5 Japan

The golden period in Norwegian shipping was in 1880 when Norway had the 3rd largest merchant fleet in the world.

What is "ImprovedConvoys"? Some mod I haven't noticed yet?

Can you me point me in the direction of more information and perhaps download? :hmm:

:ping:

Wulfmann
07-09-05, 10:17 AM
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39977

I started a new discussion on the unreal (which is actually more real than RUB's RND) improved convoys. being Norwegian you will love all the extra Norwegian ships in the convoys.

Wulfmann

Wulfmann
07-09-05, 10:19 AM
I am not sure if it still applies but a few years ago I read that if all the Greek ships registered elsewhere to avoid taxes were under the Greek flag, they would actually be number one on that list.
But, that was a few years ago so may longer apply.
Wulfmann