PDA

View Full Version : Fog and Target Locking

stephenf555
01-12-11, 05:50 AM
Hi folks,
Complete noob to SH(4), only been at it a few days but fairly hooked already. Great stuff.

I have a question about locking a target through the periscope in poor visibility. Had a look around subsim for the last hour or so trying to find an answer but couldn't. I'm running v1.5 & Real Environment Mod.

Last night on route to patrol in dark, foggy conditions I came across a light convoy, 3 DD's and 2 Large Freighters. I approached to a firing position slowly and quietly. I got to a point where I could visually make out the freighters and DD's without being spotted. Must have been less than 800 yds away, sitting still and quiet. I lined up a freighter with the attack periscope, but the auto-target (haven't got to manual targeting yet) wasn't spotting the ship at all, no yellow triangle over target. It was as though there was nothing there.

Of course while trying to get a lock eventually I was spotted and eventually rammed :damn:

So I guess this was because of the poor visibility. Is this the norm, just a shortcoming of using auto targeting, or is it an artifact of the real environment mod?

Thanks to all posters for the many useful articles and mods which have been very useful in learning the game and its tactics.

Regards,
Stephenf555

WernherVonTrapp
01-12-11, 07:11 AM
I actually sank my first ship using auto-targeting in zero visibility (w/o locking on). Your torp will travel straight if fired w/o a lock. As long as the target is broadside and, as you said, within 1000yds, you should have little difficulty in hitting it if it's stationary. If you lock on using sonar, (i.e., send the data to the TDC), the torp will travel the route of the last sonar lock. If you (experiment) adjust the offset angle ahead of the ship, you should (eventually) be able to take out a close merchant on an angle too.

stephenf555
01-12-11, 07:21 AM
I actually sank my first ship using auto-targeting in zero visibility (w/o locking on). Your torp will travel straight if fired w/o a lock. As long as the target is broadside and, as you said, within 1000yds, you should have little difficulty in hitting it if it's stationary. If you lock on using sonar, (i.e., send the data to the TDC), the torp will travel the route of the last sonar lock. If you (experiment) adjust the offset angle ahead of the ship, you should (eventually) be able to take out a close merchant on an angle too.

Thanks for the info. So If I don't get a lock and the target is moving, I should pick out an estimated target/torpedo convergence point ahead of the boat with the periscope and fire on that bearing?

A quick question on the sonar lock...I have figured out how to use the hydrophones to find the ships etc and to send the bearing to the TDC. To get the range do I have to ping and does that then give my location away to any nearby DD's?

Thanks,
Stephenf555

commandosolo2009
01-12-11, 10:22 AM
move your periscope and check the attack map. there should be a soultion. This is why manual targetting despite difficult, yet in zero lock, you'd still hit something. recommend a change.:yeah:

stephenf555
01-12-11, 11:11 AM
Thanks.
Yeah, I will start studying up on the manual methods. I've spotted a few of the good tutorials on the site.

So does pinging give away my location? And if so, what other ranging methods do I have (if I don't have surface radar)?

Stephenf555

commandosolo2009
01-12-11, 11:33 AM
Thanks.
Yeah, I will start studying up on the manual methods. I've spotted a few of the good tutorials on the site.

So does pinging give away my location? And if so, what other ranging methods do I have (if I don't have surface radar)?

Stephenf555

yes it does, and apart from radar, you're stuck with stadimeter. Also, your crew can call out contacts, bearing and distance. but I guess in klar weather.

Armistead
01-12-11, 11:40 AM
If you're running Real Env, you need the lite fog patch. The lite fog issue was impossible, so a fix was made for it....that's your problem.

Heres the fix. It includes the litefog patch and some water tweaks.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1032

Dogfish40
01-12-11, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard!!
:salute:

stephenf555
01-12-11, 03:17 PM
Thank you Sir! :salute: Glad to be aboard Sir! Lots to learn Sir!:doh:

Thanks again for the info. I'll give the lite fog mod a go. I'll also go figure out the stadimeter as my next step towards manual targeting.

Regards,
Stephenf555

Takao
01-12-11, 06:29 PM
The easiest way around the auto-lock is not to wait for it. At a distance, if you hit the "Lock" hotkey, the lock will hold for a second or two, then disappear.

Solution:
1. Select tube to fire.
2. Press the hotkey to open outer door.(IIRC, it is the "q" key)
3. Center periscope on target.
4. Hit the "Lock" hotkey.(make sure you see the triangle, but don't wait too long)
5. Hit the "Fire" hotkey(IIRC, Enter key)

If you wish to fire a second torpedo:
Repeat Steps 1 thru 3.
4. Hit the "Lock" hotkey, then hit it again to unlock and move the scope slightly left or right and then fire(but be quick about it.

This exploit worked wonders for me when I was just starting out.

MaddogK
01-14-11, 02:20 PM
I've always found that a torpedo fired without a lock always tracks the path of the last solution that was entered (your last successful lock), and have read elsewhere around here that you must hit the lock button twice without a target in view to clear the last lock and make the torpedo track straight when fired. I would assume you can also clear the last lock by sending the straight ahead bearing from the sonar console (hydrophones) to the TDC but don't remember ever trying it.

WernherVonTrapp
01-14-11, 02:41 PM
I believe, if you point your periscope at a specific heading (during the heavy fog) and hit the "L" (lock) key, even though you don't see anything, your torp will follow the locked path of that track. So, theoretically speaking, you an do this by picking a spot ahead of your target (say 15 degrees) and fire, or just fire w/o locking anything (including sonar) when the target is about 12-15 degrees off.