PDA

View Full Version : Unsinkable ships - RFB2.0 + PE4

Althar93
11-13-10, 07:55 PM
Hello all,

I am an avid SHIII GWX player, and have started playing SHIV again recently.
I did play out a few short campaigns with the stock game in the past, but I have only recently started a proper career with several MODs.
At this time, I have RFB 2.0, RSRD and PE4 installed, and the game has just become amazing !!

I am currently at the end of my second patrol in the philippines with my S-18, and so far it has been a lot of fun, as well as a lot more challenging.

I have been encountering a few issues however, and I was hoping you might know the reason :

It seems some ships have become unsinkable (notably Junks). Or at least, are impossible to "kill". I have read about ships which will take 7-10 torpedos and not go down, but this is not it.
In my case, the ship will actually sink to the point where it is completely submerged, and then simply carry on.

I had a couple of Junks lose their sails, go under, release all that crap that normally comes from sinking a ship (oil, crates, etc.). Surprisingly though, they would just keep going at top speed. They were still "alive" but did not show up on the map anymore (that being said, there was no sunken ship icon either)

Worse, I took down a small freighter with my deck gun; then seeing it would not go deeper, fired a torpedo at it. The result : a huge fireball, and a sinking ship, but not the "The ship is going down" message. The seabed was too deep for me to actually follow with the Free Cam (+1000), but I am pretty sure the ship went down to the bottom :D.

I have noticed that this phenomenon is more or less random, and has occured after engaging a ship with my deck gun. It does seems to do it a lot more with wooden-based ships (is there something wrong with my physics or flooding system?).

I usually play DiD and reload only when absolutely necessary, after CTDs and resuming my career, but lately I have had to do it quite frequently because of those highlander ships which wouldn't give it up : it is starting to become really annoying, as well as killing some of the immersion (not for the ships though... :damn:).

Is that a known issue/mechanism of the game/MOD setup? Has someone experienced that before, and may or may not know the reason? Could there be a conflict between some of the MODs I am using ?

Now, since I am there posting about my issue, I might as well add a few unrelated questions about sensors and co. :DL .

Does the AOB of your ship relative to a listening destroyer affect the output he gets back : are you more likely to be detected if your propelers are facing him, or if they are facing the opposite way?

I do not know much about Japanese and American WWII ships in SHIV, but I was wondering whether the vessel type was in someway related to the skill of its crew : e.g a destroyer and a mine vessel look very much alike, yet do they act the same? )

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help :yeah:!!

PS : here are two pictures to illustrate my last patrol :salute: with one ship which eventually sank (no post-effects, just the game with the MODs mentioned above ) :

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010/11/13-1615076165L.jpg

http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010/11/13-1552169508L.jpg

WernherVonTrapp
11-14-10, 05:29 AM
Welcome, Althar93.:up:
The only issues/FUBARs that I've encountered regarding unusual ship sinking mechanics is when I have a screwed-pooch game load and as of yet, I haven't been able to nail down the exact cause for those bad loads. I can speculate that it had something to do with high TC (time compression) or, in my particular case, I like to experiment using the same scenarios over and over in a (What if I did this?) semblance of a science-like control group thingy.:D Basically translated, I do some weird stuff with reloaded games that may account for ships failing to register as "sunk" in my Captains log and whatnot. In the end, a simple reload of the saved game usually cures the problem.
As far as approaching/evading DDs, in my own experience, as nerfed as it may be (Armistead uses that word alot, I like it too so I'm using it also), I find that if your screws are facing away from the DD, it makes you harder (not impossible) to detect.
Also, look at this picture-type, schematic, reference, visual aid like thing below:
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/subchaser/doohickey.jpg

You'll find this on your periscope screen. If you are in the DDs baffles (Dead Zone), he cannot hear you. This thing shows your position relative to the target angle.:03:
BTW, if PE4 is referring to Pacific Environment, that may be the cause for your nerfed ship sinkings. The major Mods (TMO, RFB) already come with their own environments and aren't too friendly toward additional ones.

Althar93
11-14-10, 11:15 AM
Hey,

Thanks a lot for your help : as it turns out, and after several load attempts and failed attacks on the same small 1800t cargo freighter (the torpedo impacts had completely obliterated his port side), I am about to make a fresh reinstall with SHIV and RFB/RSRD only.

Hopefully, it should work better now, and that should get rid of some other problems I've been having (CO2 which keeps rising on the surface, even though I do not play with TC higher than 128x).

I did not realize that RFB had its own environment mod (I though they were only small tweaks such as the water colour and clarity).

As for the DD, I will take that into account during my next attack :D. Never realized the red 15's were the dead zone, very useful!!

Anyway, thanks again for your help :salute:

WernherVonTrapp
11-15-10, 03:34 AM
Never realized the red 15's were the dead zone, very useful!!

Hmmmm, neither did I. Now, how the heck did I figure that one out? Interesting.:hmmm: