PDA

View Full Version : Insertion Missions

SH4 fan
05-02-10, 01:55 AM
Hey All I have been tasked with a spy insertion and I have arrived at the prescribed location, (after taking some time to sink 4 ships and a zeke. :yeah:) But I can not seem to locate the dinghy launcher. This helped a bit but it doesn't say where the command would be located. Any help is appreciated. Guide to Completing Missions in SH4 - Topic Powered by Social Strata (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/3431059945)

razark
05-02-10, 02:01 AM
Try going to periscope depth and then surfacing. If I remember correctly, that should trigger a menu asking if you want to launch the boat. I believe you also need to be stopped or moving very slow.

Gibus
05-02-10, 02:23 AM
You must be at the surface and stop the engines. Nothing else.

Good hunting.

Admiral8Q
05-02-10, 06:49 AM
You must be at the surface and stop the engines. Nothing else.

Good hunting.

Aye! stop all engines and it will give you a menu to launch the dingy.:yep:

convoy hunter
05-02-10, 06:53 AM
-Surface the boat
-aye sir
-all engines stop
-aye sir
-launch the boat
-aye

BillBam
05-02-10, 08:40 AM
An be close enough to the shore

Frumpkis
05-02-10, 11:00 AM
And wait long enough. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to get that launch notice. The last time I had that mission, I had to go into mild time compression to trigger it after reaching the position, surface, dead stop.

SH4 fan
05-02-10, 01:05 PM
Thanks! I will give it a try.

SH4 fan
05-02-10, 04:14 PM
Is it possible for the weather to be too bad for the insertion? I have some nasty weather with waves topping 10+ feet and 15m/s wind strength.:hmmm: I sat in the same place 68' deep water at periscope depth then came up and waited but no launch command ever appeared after 2 hours of sim time.

Thanks for the help!

Admiral8Q
05-02-10, 04:39 PM
I doubt it. I like using the external cam. The Navy Seal was paddling upside down! :haha:

SH4 fan
05-02-10, 07:45 PM
Hmm I wonder what is going on then because I haven't seen any buttons or commands for launching this spy aka catman onto land.

Did I have to be there by a certain time window?

Thanks for the help

magic452
05-02-10, 11:19 PM
There is not real time window.
Try moving a little and than go to PD again and resurface.
You need to be about 1500 yards or less sometimes to launch.
Might even need to go out of the area a little and than come back in???

Magic

tomoose
05-03-10, 11:22 AM
You need to be at a dead stop or almost and very close to shore (as mentioned previously).

One thing you should be aware of. Once the dinghy is in the water you might hear a horrendously loud crashing/grinding noise as if you've collided with something. Don't panic. It's just the dinghy bumping into your sub. For some inexplicable reason the devs completely missed the fact that they used the same sound effect for the rubber dinghy bumping into you as the sound effect used for ship collisions. There is no seperate sound effect for the rubber dinghy so if you change the collision wave file to something more suitable then your ship collisions will end up with THAT file instead.

For all the praise heaped on the devs this simple little thing is something I'll never forgive them for. Relatively easy to fix and yet numerous patches later no joy.

SH4 fan
05-05-10, 11:15 PM
I will try...I may need to reinstall SH4 into a different folder because I can't seem to get rid of the kernel.dll and ntdll.dll crashes. I am beginning to wonder if that has something to do with it. Is there a minidump file for SHIV?

Edit: is that possible with steam?

SH4 fan
05-06-10, 01:13 PM
After more unsuccessful trying I have to ask, and I hate to ask this because it defeats the purpose of the game. Is there a way to mod the saved game files to show I completed this task? I ask because I now have 4 atika maru kills, 1 troop carrier and a zeke. Not much but enough that I wouldn't want them to go to waste.

Here is the current mission which is giving me hell. SpeOps_guerrilla_NegrosPI_2.mis.

WarlordATF
05-06-10, 11:42 PM
I usually skip these missions, when the mission loads i just click the anchor and select dock, then take a new mission.

However if i do take the mission...

I have gotten into the habit of saving shortly before i enter the shallows because half the time when i click on the "Deploy the Boat" button i CTD. It really weird because i can reload the save and it does not happen the next time.

I think my problem might be a memory issue because if i ignore all targets on the way to the drop off it hardly ever happens, but if i have built up a decent list of kills it happens everytime. I'm only using 2 gigs of ddr2 ram and for the most part the game runs great, but once in awhile it CTDs on me.

peabody
05-07-10, 02:07 AM
After more unsuccessful trying I have to ask, and I hate to ask this because it defeats the purpose of the game. Is there a way to mod the saved game files to show I completed this task? I ask because I now have 4 atika maru kills, 1 troop carrier and a zeke. Not much but enough that I wouldn't want them to go to waste.

Here is the current mission which is giving me hell. SpeOps_guerrilla_NegrosPI_2.mis.

You will not lose credit for the kills, you still get the renown. You just will not get the renown points for completing the mission.

Peabody

peabody
05-07-10, 04:05 AM

I looked at the mission and I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think there is a mistake in one of the triggers if it is suppose to work the way I think it is.

Peabody

SH4 fan
05-07-10, 08:08 PM
Thanks Peabody!

I think I will head to port then.

Thanks for all the help!

Regards
SH4 fan

SH4 fan
05-09-10, 04:32 PM
What is the key command to launch the dinghy? I got the call to shift Base of Ops to papua new guinea. I went to port and all I could do was refit, no option to end the patrol. I am at 80% hull damage after a nasty encounter and no way to repair.

Thanks for the help!

peabody
05-09-10, 05:33 PM
What is the key command to launch the dinghy? I got the call to shift Base of Ops to papua new guinea. I went to port and all I could do was refit, no option to end the patrol. I am at 80% hull damage after a nasty encounter and no way to repair.

Thanks for the help!

You don't need a key command to launch the boat. A screen comes up similar to the one when you enter port for "Launch Boat" or "Postpone".

Unless it has been changed, I haven't played that MOD, your base should have a tilted anchor and all the rest will not be tilted. Check your map, maybe you got the message but it didn't change the base right away.

Peabody

Mauser KAR98K
05-09-10, 09:07 PM
I have a question of my own. I'm running 1.4 with no mods. I launch a dingy out during a resupply mission to the Philippines, I'm at a dead stop, but my sub still crashes into the raft. Is there any thing I need to do to stop this?

Also, how can I recover rafts?

SH4 fan
05-09-10, 10:02 PM
I counldn't recover the raft. They launched and blew up and capsized. They were still rowing, it listed a success so I backed off and proceeded to next objective.

Edit: I can't seem to find any survivors off the Timor coast...scouted the whole island.

tomoose
05-10-10, 11:29 AM
Mauser;
AFAIK there is no 'recovery' of the raft, you launch and you're done your mission. You can depart and go hunting or head home. As to the crashing of the raft into the sub, it doesn't matter. You'll hear the horrendous grinding noise due to the bug of using the wrong sound effect but it is essentially just bumping into the hull and means nothing. Even if the raft tips over the occupants will continue rowing etc. There's nothing you can do about it but leave.

The only way to avoid "crashing" into the raft I've found is to immediately reverse away once the raft is launched. Some others have suggested that you position the sub broadside to the shore, launch the raft, then back off and turn out to sea. It's just a matter of practice in avoiding the raft after launch BUT even if it hits you it does NOT affect the mission it's simply a sound-effect bug which was never fixed (see my previous post).