PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] How to edit DAT Files?

urfisch
03-09-10, 08:26 AM
- s3d doesnt work any more
- goblin is not able to save a dat
- hex edit is far to time expensive
- 3ds max doesnt open or import the file

suggestions?

flakmonkey
03-09-10, 11:33 AM
Well ive figured a roundabout way to export model and texture data from the .gr2 files but thats pretty much all i can do, i guess we wait for an update to s3d.

Nisgeis
03-09-10, 04:16 PM
The .dat files were created with Kashmir, which was the forerunner to goblin editor. You can't edit .zon, .sim files etcetera with S3D, but you should be able to edit .dat files only (there are only 55 of them, compared to 1700+ in SH4) as long as they shouldn't have any SH5 controllers in them. The goblin editor can't handle saving a file with more than one root node (node without a parent) - if you try, all but one will become lost controllers, as they have no parent. Have you tried just editting the particles.dat file with S3D?

urfisch
03-09-10, 04:22 PM
The .dat files were created with Kashmir, which was the forerunner to goblin editor. You can't edit .zon, .sim files etcetera with S3D, but you should be able to edit .dat files only (there are only 55 of them, compared to 1700+ in SH4) as long as they shouldn't have any SH5 controllers in them. The goblin editor can't handle saving a file with more than one root node (node without a parent) - if you try, all but one will become lost controllers, as they have no parent. Have you tried just editting the particles.dat file with S3D?

yes, i did. edit the particles.dat works in s3d, but it is not used ingame afaik... and sh5 seems to be a bit different in structure. the effects are now located in "baza_fx.dat"...and this does not work with s3d...

:shifty:

Nisgeis
03-09-10, 04:34 PM
the effects are now located in "baza_fx.dat"...and this does not work with s3d...

:shifty:

So there's a load of files included in the game that do nothing? Sounds familiar! That baza_fx.dat file wasn't created with Kashmir, so won't work, but all the others that are will. I wonder now if any of the older style dat files are used by the game - that will be a fun red herring for some. The Baza file has multiple nodes without parents, so that's why it's not working with the goblin editor. I'll do some digging.

urfisch
03-10-10, 03:51 AM
yeah, would be great if we find a solution. marean from the devs told me, the effects where made in 3ds max and directly exported...so, this dat differs from the older dats.

BlackDeep
03-10-10, 07:47 AM
yeah, would be great if we find a solution. marean from the devs told me, the effects where made in 3ds max and directly exported...

Which means it should be possible to import them directly into 3ds max, shouldn't it?

urfisch
03-10-10, 08:33 AM
nope, this doesnt work. tried already...

BlackDeep
03-10-10, 08:47 AM
nope, this doesnt work. tried already...
Did you try it with the plugin

GR2 Skeleton and Animation import Plugin (3ds Max / GMax)

from http://gr2decode.altervista.org/download.html ?

Don't know if this works and I cannot try it yet since I just ordered SH V at AMAZON.Co.UK today and I will not have it before Monday or Tuesday next week.

urfisch
03-10-10, 10:20 AM
Did you try it with the plugin

from http://gr2decode.altervista.org/download.html ?

Don't know if this works and I cannot try it yet since I just ordered SH V at AMAZON.Co.UK today and I will not have it before Monday or Tuesday next week.

this is for gr2 files!...not for *.dat

;)