PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Critical hits for deck gun

Darkreaver1980
03-07-10, 05:15 AM
Tired about shooting 50 rounds of high explosive shells into a small merchant like its a soft gun? Falling asleep while you try to sink a large tanker with your 88mm gun?

This is now history!

Critical hits v1.1 enables critical hits on all enemy ships. Its pretty random, you could still shot 20 rounds into a merchant and allmost nothing happens but with some luck you will blow up the wohle ship with 1-2 hits making the wohle game alot more exciting.

Warning! This is not for you if you like 100% realism, because all enemys ship will likely blow up much faster than before. Larger ships are still harder to sink, it just makes using the deck gun much more rewarding. In stock SH 5, i allways use time compression + ai gunner to destroy merchant ships, because its just boring to watch and that isnt fun at all :)

The good thing is that you will see if you score a critical hit. No more 20 explosions while the hull is still at 90%. If you see a huge explosion than the ship will sink with high chances.

This applys to AP and HE shells. HE shells are around 40% more effective vs merchants than AP shells

Let me know how you like it, maybe i still need to change some values.

I made myself a savegame and sunk the merchant 8 times while i counted the number of shells needed to sink the small merchant:

The same with a large Tanker:

Install JSGME right in the SH 5 Folder than unpack this zip into the JSGME Mod Folder and enable it.

Have fun

Version 1.2: Lowered all Damage by 25%. A shot can now do up to 3 times the stock damage

Get it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8721542/Criticalhitsv1.2.zip
Link to my critical hits for torpedos mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163930

Michal788
03-07-10, 08:18 AM
You make silent hunter 5 a real arcade game isnt? :stare:

Darkreaver1980
03-07-10, 09:07 AM

Dont think so, i find it way more realistic and playable with this mod than the stock SH 5. Its not fun to shot 40 rounds into a merchant ship and it just sails away.

Some people like it this way and some the other way :)

jlederer
03-07-10, 10:27 AM
Compensates for ships totally on fire but apparently taking no damage.

Darkreaver1980
03-07-10, 11:32 AM
Compensates for ships totally on fire but apparently taking no damage.

yes thats true. I dont know why, but with this mod if a ship burns because of gunfire than it actualy burns down instead of just sailing away

McHibbins
03-07-10, 12:53 PM
Iīll try it, īcause iīm sick of a 13knots sailing torch

Hell_Diver
03-07-10, 04:21 PM
okay i love this mod but it is sadly not usable for me.. what i have found out so far.. i sank a battleship with 8 shots of AP below the water line..... a battleship!

i sink most merchants below the water line in 7-4 shots..

i sink destroyers with about 1-3 shots of ap below the water line..

in your testing i think you need to consider the damage from shots above and below the waterline, because below the waterline hits are now like nukes exploding.. lol

Darkreaver1980
03-07-10, 04:31 PM
okay i love this mod but it is sadly not usable for me.. what i have found out so far.. i sank a battleship with 8 shots of AP below the water line..... a battleship!

i sink most merchants below the water line in 7-4 shots..

i sink destroyers with about 1-3 shots of ap below the water line..

in your testing i think you need to consider the damage from shots above and below the waterline, because below the waterline hits are now like nukes exploding.. lol

thanks for the feedback. I also figured out that AP Damage is now all over the top. HE is fine so far. I will upload 1.1 with half AP damage values and less armor penetration and lower the HE damage just a bit. Look in the 1. post for a updated version.

i want to make the mod fun and at the same time it shouldnt feel like a arcade shooter :)

With this version i usualy need around 8-12 HE shells to destroy a small merchant ship and 5-12 hits with AP vs a destroyer, if you realy want to try it :D

Edit: New version is out

Sailor Steve
03-07-10, 05:01 PM
The 'AP' shells used by smaller warships weren't truly Armor Piercing, but what the British called 'Common', or 'Semi-Armor Piercing'. They were designed to penetrate about half what a normal AP shell of the same size would do. The smallest true AP shells anybody made were for 6" (150mm) guns, and even those were rare in World War Two.

And more: an AP shell has more of its weight taken up by the armor-piercing cap, so it has a lot less powder than an SAP or HE shell. It should go through more armor but make a smaller bang. And of course a 3.46" (8.8cm) shell is not going to penetrate the armor on a light cruiser, much less a battleship.

I hope that helps some.:sunny:

Wolfmanjack
03-07-10, 05:43 PM
Oh hell yes thank you :)

Yes i am not a 100% realism fanatic like some. But it has always bothered me that torpedo damage and cannon damage were only shadows of themselves.

In reality 1 torpedo could sink any ship or even 1-2 shots from the cannon on deck could have also. In reality most ships in WW1 WW2 were all sunk by only 1-2 torpedo hits.

What i am saying is.. There was always a chance that a shot could get lucky (even a cannon shot) and blow a ship in 1 shot. Ie hitting stored munitions,fuel etc.

Thanks for this

Darkreaver1980
03-08-10, 09:48 AM
Version 1.1 is now much better. You cant sink a DD anymore with 3-4 shots + AP but its still possible to win a 1 vs 1 surface fight vs a DD, if he doesnt get that lucky :D

i think the HE damage vs merchants is fine now. They still can take some shots but you wont waste 20 + shells without doing anything

Sailor Steve
03-08-10, 11:13 AM
I like the idea of mods that make things more fun, even though I am a reality freak. But I do have to take exception with the idea that it being easier is reality.

In reality 1 torpedo could sink any ship or even 1-2 shots from the cannon on deck could have also. In reality most ships in WW1 WW2 were all sunk by only 1-2 torpedo hits.
Not even remotely true. Smaller ships could go down with one or two torpedoes, but the records are full of acount's of the "coup de gras", because the ship refused to sink.

Here is a tanker that took two torpedoes and eighty-seven rounds from the deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1964.html

Look through these lists. You will find that two or even three torpedoes was the norm, and nowhere will you find a ship blowing up from a lucky hit from a u-boat's deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/listing.php

Ziggy
03-08-10, 03:39 PM
I like it. Still takes a lot of shots to take down a ship but you don't run out of ammo on just 2 ships.

Darkreaver1980
03-08-10, 03:43 PM
I like it. Still takes a lot of shots to take down a ship but you don't run out of ammo on just 2 ships.

Thanks, i dont want to have a shot em up game but i neither want to waste 30+ shells per ship. I think i found a good middle way.

looney
03-10-10, 08:54 AM
I like the idea of mods that make things more fun, even though I am a reality freak. But I do have to take exception with the idea that it being easier is reality.

Not even remotely true. Smaller ships could go down with one or two torpedoes, but the records are full of acount's of the "coup de gras", because the ship refused to sink.

Here is a tanker that took two torpedoes and eighty-seven rounds from the deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1964.html

Look through these lists. You will find that two or even three torpedoes was the norm, and nowhere will you find a ship blowing up from a lucky hit from a u-boat's deck gun.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/listing.php

Wasn't it so that 1 torp hit would normally be enought to get a ship out of the convoy and thus easy pickings for the sub? And later in war it was normal to fire at least 2 torps per ship. And end war to fire a complete spread at the target?

CrocodileDundee
03-10-10, 01:06 PM
Hi

How can you find (using S3D 0.9.9) which one of the ammo (in shells.zon) is the one for your subs (VIIA) deck cannon?

szultz
03-10-10, 01:34 PM
And later in war it was normal to fire at least 2 torps per ship. And end war to fire a complete spread at the target?
Wasn't that because subs could not get as close to convoys as at the start of the war and to compensate they had to fire more torps.

GuillermoZS
03-19-10, 01:16 PM
Thanks man! :salute:

Gunship
05-14-10, 08:53 PM
Dont think so, i find it way more realistic and playable with this mod than the stock SH 5. Its not fun to shot 40 rounds into a merchant ship and it just sails away.

Some people like it this way and some the other way :)

For sure and I like this way too , because no time to waste with 40 rounds per merchant ship ! nice one thanks

Hartmann
05-14-10, 10:17 PM

I donīt think so

In real life some tankers never burn and others blow up easily when are broken in two or damaged

schurem
05-28-10, 08:03 AM
is this tested for 1.2 or is it made redundant? same for the torpedoes thing..

Sudo
06-05-10, 12:38 PM
Hello all,

Can someone upload the critical hits deck gun to subsim? I can't get the easy-share link to work. I have the critical hits torpedoes and it's great, so I would love to round it out with the deck gun too. :salute:

Thanks.

Sudo
06-13-10, 12:36 PM
Still hoping that someone with a copy of this mod will upload to subsim. Getting ready for a new campaign and would love to throw this mod in the mix before doing so. Thanks to anyone can help. :salute:

eon850aye
07-28-10, 12:47 PM
is this tested for 1.2 or is it made redundant? same for the torpedoes thing..

Oh yeah :D I use this & the torpedoes mods myself.

Hello all,

Can someone upload the critical hits deck gun to subsim? I can't get the easy-share link to work. I have the critical hits torpedoes and it's great, so I would love to round it out with the deck gun too. :salute:

Thanks.

Still hoping that someone with a copy of this mod will upload to subsim. Getting ready for a new campaign and would love to throw this mod in the mix before doing so. Thanks to anyone can help. :salute:

The link is working fine (just tried it myself), I had to wait for the timer to reach zero, clicked on Regular Download, then waited for that timer to reach zero, I also had to type in two words somewhere aswell before I was allowed to download the file :damn:, but got there in the end:yeah:

Sudo
08-08-10, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah :D I use this & the torpedoes mods myself.

The link is working fine (just tried it myself), I had to wait for the timer to reach zero, clicked on Regular Download, then waited for that timer to reach zero, I also had to type in two words somewhere aswell before I was allowed to download the file :damn:, but got there in the end:yeah:

eon850aye, thanks again for this. :yeah:

TopcatWA
08-08-10, 07:39 PM
Thanks M8:up:

DavyJonesFootlocker
08-08-10, 08:38 PM
I enjoy your mod.:DL

Frantic8882
08-14-10, 01:54 PM
Can I activate during patrol? I got crit hits torp installed right now on patrol, okay to add deck guns? thx, and good job.:yeah:

dbn
11-04-10, 02:16 PM
thanks you very much

Sepp von Ch.
11-04-10, 03:53 PM
I wish more relistic and more difficult "critical hits for deck gun" mod, but I exceptionally like, that you never know what the effect of your fire will be.

pascal4541
11-04-10, 04:10 PM
Can I activate during patrol? I got crit hits torp installed right now on patrol, okay to add deck guns? thx, and good job.:yeah:

Yes :03:

SR-71
11-10-10, 05:17 PM
Thanks a lot for your idea!! I like realism, but also fun and it's completely ridiculous those skimming 14 knots sea-torch merchants which should sink just due to the weight of the lead placed inside by the deck gun...:doh:

PS: You should comment that your download link is broken, it must be downloaded from your another "critical torp hit mod" thread

andycaccia
11-12-10, 03:07 PM
Hi

How can you find (using S3D 0.9.9) which one of the ammo (in shells.zon) is the one for your subs (VIIA) deck cannon?

This is something I'd really love to know. Which ammo are to be modified?

HansVonBeehan
03-17-12, 06:15 AM
who still has 1.1? I want to see the difference between the two 1.1 and 1.2 :D

volodya61
10-14-12, 06:41 AM
The link in the post #1 is dead.. here is -

Critical hits v 1.2 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tca4nq85i7ga23u

GT182
01-25-13, 08:25 PM
I see the Critical hits mod for the deckgun is also gone from Darkreaver's Dropbox link. Can I get it from anyone, or could it be uploaded somewhere to get it?

volodya61
01-26-13, 01:58 AM
I see the Critical hits mod for the deckgun is also gone from Darkreaver's Dropbox link. Can I get it from anyone, or could it be uploaded somewhere to get it?

Hi, Gary
sometimes worth to have a look at the few last posts in the thread if the link in the post #1 is dead..

EDIT: you've already asked in the Critical hits thread similar question two months ago and I've already answered you.. both links for download both mods are in the ends of the threads.. and still alive..

Dodo11
11-28-15, 06:40 PM
Is this version 1.2 compatible with TWOS 1.04 ( same question for the torpedo version ) ?
Thx.

YoYo
11-29-15, 02:46 AM
Is this version 1.2 compatible with TWOS 1.04 ( same question for the torpedo version ) ?
Thx.

Yes, no any problems. It must looks like this:

http://s25.postimg.org/ol1lavnqj/Nowy_1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ol1lavnqj/)

THEBERBSTER
11-29-15, 06:20 AM
See my SH5 tutorials 2nd downloads section for compatible TWOS mods.

Peter

vdr1981
11-29-15, 07:02 AM
Thx.

If you want your game to look and feel like arcade shooter than yes...:yep: