PDA

View Full Version : Changing crew titles

BaronVonDuncs
03-06-10, 09:00 PM
Ok quick query. In the crew management menu I wanted to change the titles so that instead of Sound Guy it says Sonar officer/man. Its a small thing but it bugs me.

I got rid of the ridiculous 'Extreme speed' by changing the menu file to read Flank Speed instead but I couldn't find the crew management titles in that file or anywhere else to get rid of the 'Sound Guy' title. Anyone know where it is?

Seriously the little stuff matters in a game like this and it really ruins the atmosphere to have this kind of English usage. I mean its WWII so you don't go around saying "Give me extreme speed dude'. Still at least they redid the voices so that have German sounding accents, that trailer nearly put me off with the guy from deepest Alabama shouting dive dive in a German sub.

Anyway any advice would be helpful.

Heretic
03-06-10, 09:58 PM
UPCLocalization.tsr Edit as a text file. Lot's of goodies in there to change.

BaronVonDuncs
03-06-10, 11:37 PM
UPCLocalization.tsr Edit as a text file. Lot's of goodies in there to change.

Whereabouts I couldn't seem to find it.

Heretic
03-06-10, 11:48 PM
data\UPCDataGE\UPCLocalization\UPCLocalization.tsr

elanaiba
03-07-10, 03:50 AM
I got rid of the ridiculous 'Extreme speed' by changing the menu file to read Flank Speed instead (...)

I mean its WWII so you don't go around saying "Give me extreme speed dude'.

Do you know what the original german name for that speed is?

ustahl
03-07-10, 07:24 PM
Do you know what the original german name for that speed is?

Well, in "Das Boot" they said "Wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus".
I think this can be heard in the relevant German speech mod for SH3, as an extract from the movie soundtrack.

martes86
03-07-10, 07:55 PM
Well, in "Das Boot" they said "Wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus".

I think they only said that in DB once, and it said "Beide Dreimal Wahnsinnige".
Otherwise, they'd usually just say "Beide maschinen Außerste kraft (AK) voraus".

Mcbobbit
03-08-10, 07:01 AM
I think they only said that in DB once, and it said "Beide Dreimal Wahnsinnige".
Otherwise, they'd usually just say "Beide maschinen Außerste kraft (AK) voraus".

If you consider das boot as cannon, then extreme speed ahead is pretty acurate. Both terms can be translated as extreme. Whansinnig in this context translates as incredible or extreme. ( unless they meant insane speed ahead). And auberste also translates as extreme or utmost, top etc.

You could always go for maximum which is pretty much the same in german and english.

I do agree that soundguy is not the most military sounding title.

Jander
03-08-10, 07:10 AM
the correct german term would be:
"Äußerste Kraft"

complete list of german speed terms:

forward (from slowest to fastest; voraus = forward):
"Kleine Fahrt voraus"
"Langsame Fahrt voraus"
"Halbe Fahrt voraus"
"Große Fahrt voraus"
"Äußerste Kraft voraus"

backward (from slowest to fastest; zurück = backward):
"Kleine Fahrt zurück "
"Langsame Fahrt zurück"
"Halbe Fahrt zurück"
"Äußerste Kraft zurück"

see this image for reference, U995 in Laboe: http://www.pbase.com/kevbelcher/image/74884359

"Wahnsinnige Fahrt", as in Das Boot, definitely is no correct term, but Slang. As far as I remember, they say "Beide dreimal Wahnsinnige" and also, as addition (but here I am not sure if it is in the same scene in the movie) "Alles was drin ist".
A translation would be "both (engines) three times extreme/crazy/mad" and "as much as possible". So the Kaleun here tells the LI to make the boat run as fast as possible, but in no usual or correct nautical terms.

EAF274 Johan
03-08-10, 08:06 AM
"Wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus" is the equivalent of captain Kirk saying "Give 'er all she's got, Scotty". Perfectly understandable in the heat of battle, but certainly not standard terminology :)

ustahl
03-08-10, 05:13 PM
I must humbly appologize.:oops:
When I further up mentioned "Wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus", it was erroneously based on that 'Extreme speed' reference in Elanaiba's post, and I overlooked the 'Flank speed' reference.:dead: The latter is of course correctly 'Äußerste Kraft voraus', as various people have pointed out.:up:

Just want to correct the dumbass impression I made above.:know:

BaronVonDuncs
03-08-10, 06:12 PM
Hmm interesting. Anyone know how to change out the voice sound file so he doesn't say extreme speed ahead when you give the order. I modded it to Flank on the controls but he still says extreme speed when you do it. Just jars with me and spoils my immersion a bit.

Maybe we should go with the sound dude and radio dude after all.:DL

dc1sal
03-18-10, 11:35 PM
How exactly do you change the sound man title? I went into UPCLocalization-notepad and changed it under CrewMemberSlots, but did not work, do you change it after the = sign? example:
before---Soundman-CrewMemberSlot-Name=Soundman to
after--- Soundman-CrewMemberSlot-Name=Funker
thanks...

dc1sal
03-19-10, 11:19 PM
OK, so is it possible to change crewman titles in game??? If so how would one perform this,, thanks..

dc1sal
03-21-10, 11:17 AM
Is it possible to change crew ranks? Some of my officers are kaptains already,. they should be in command of their own boats.. I altered the UPCDataGE--UPCCrewData but only got CTD. Any info on this,
thanks